Author Topic: Rhodes upper octave "scream"  (Read 585 times)

Offline thetrufflehog

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
    • The Business of Pleasure
Rhodes upper octave "scream"
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:54:05 AM »
I've looked around for a while and cannot find anything on this issue I'm having with a few notes in the upper octave of my Rhodes!

Pehaps I am not naming the issue right, but the best way I can describe it is that I have a few notes in the top octave that have a sort of "scream" or "gargle" - basically it's a really fast beating. The sound is vastly more prominent when a note is struck acoustically without the piano plugged into an amplifier, but it does still create some unpleasant overtones when amplified, and it makes tuning these few notes much harder.

My tech said some tonebar clips might help tame the "scream", but it did not. I've tuned to ET as well as a percision strobe tune Rhodes stretch map, which also had no effect.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
1974 Stage 73
Korg Arp Odyssey
Nord Electro 3
Mason and Hamlin Model 50 Upright
Motion Sound KP200S
Kustom Coupe 36
(Rhodes) Behringer C9 Comp > EHX Soul Food > MXR Univibe Kokko Space Reverb > Speakeasy Vintage Stereo Vibrato Preamp
(ARP) Donner Yellow Fall Delay

Offline pnoboy

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Rhodes upper octave "scream"
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 03:58:59 PM »
Hmmm, this is an odd one.  Have you tried adjusting the voicing screw?  Do the tone-bar assemblies feel loose, which could possibly be caused by old grommets?  For example, if you move the end of a tone bar right and left and then let it go, does it return to the center position, or is it loose enough to stay where you left it?  Are the tines screwed tightly into the tone bars?

Offline thetrufflehog

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 01:02:51 AM »
I have adjusted the voicing screws a lot on this piano over the course of my ownership, including recently, with no changes to this issue. I replaced the grommets on most of the piano, but I will double check because some seemed ok and I didnt switch them out. I'm not totally happy with the grommets I chose, and that could certainly be a factor for this issue. I will check to see the tines are screwed tightly to the tone bar, though as far as I know none of the tines have been ever been removed, replaced, or adjusted.
Thanks for the advice!
1974 Stage 73
Korg Arp Odyssey
Nord Electro 3
Motion Sound KP200S
Kustom Coupe 36
(Rhodes) Behringer C9 Comp > EHX Soul Food > MXR Univibe Kokko Space Reverb > Speakeasy Vintage Stereo Vibrato Preamp

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 03:32:41 PM »
What model of rhodes is this, and also what grommets did you use? Ive heard this chirping on MKV's which use the rubber standoffs- the lack of a second screw though good for sustain, makes the sound less stable in this area. So my thoughts are the grommets you've used may be too soft, and/or the springs are incorrect and possibly the screws are not mated well to the grommets used. Did you use VV grommets AND screws together? Or did you leave the old screws and put in new grommets? Its gonna be a process of elimination here. Also, as has been said, make sure the tine is tight to the tonebar and also that the screw and grommet is correctly seated in the tonebar too. When replacing the grommets and screws make sure that you seat the grommet in by hand so it mates correctly with the tonebar and centres into the spring nicely, THEN put the screw in- dont put them in together as you wont necessarily get the optimum alignment and seating which can cause the washers to vibrate and the tonebar assembly to not hold tight.

Offline thetrufflehog

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 01:04:27 PM »
Its a mid 74 stage. I believe I bought the grommets from Avion studios, and I used the original screws. Tines are cranked on quite tight. As far as the springs I think theyre original. I have a tech here in Portland Oregon that does work when I can't/don't have time, and he thought the grommets were not as good as VV. Someday when I have the time and money, I'll do a re-grommet with the VV screw and grommet set at some point. Hammer tips with the Herbie offset too. For now I've gotten it quite playable, and again that scream on these few very high notes is not very noticeable when amplified.
Glad to hear there's someone else who has seen this before, and thanks for the advice. Just add yet another reason to do the grommets again and correctly. Though the job was a pain when I did it, at least this time around I know what I'm getting into.

Love your playing by the way, have since long before I joined this forum. I love your chopped gigging rhodes idea!
1974 Stage 73
Korg Arp Odyssey
Nord Electro 3
Motion Sound KP200S
Kustom Coupe 36