Author Topic: wurli 200A crackle  (Read 166 times)

Offline groover

• Mark I
    • View Profile
wurli 200A crackle
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:08:12 AM »
Hi guys,
Been awhile since i've posted here, but thought it about time i try and diagnose a problem with my 200A that i've restored. I've attached an audio sample to this post so you can hear the problem i've got. So quite awhile back I replaced the amp with a Warneck and all seemed to be well except intermittently when i dug into the playing i got this crackling in the speakers and the output. Sometimes some of the notes will sound quieter than normal and when i give it to the keys a bit then they'll kick back to full volume. I just reused all the original wiring when i replaced the amp except for a few that was supplied with the new board, and at the moment my guess is a connection in the old wiring somewhere.
I realise this is potentially quite difficult to diagnose but any suggestions on where to start/what to try would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not have to try and rewire the whole thing top to bottom, and with my lack of knowledge on what this might be its kinda the only thing i can think of trying. I'm sure there could be other issues that might be causing this that i'm unaware of, so  please i would value any suggestions you guys have got.
Thanks so much,
Groover

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:58:23 AM by groover »

KeysAlUk

Re: wurli 200A crackle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:58:54 PM »
Hey Groover,

To me (and anyone please feel free to correct me), this sounds like some dust or general dirt somewhere between the reeds and the pick ups. Similar to when a reed contacts the pickup and you get a crackle/buzz/weird noise. I think a similar thing can happen with dust.

Personally I'd just try and clean out any dust etc from the reeds. Vacuum? Soft Brush? Make sure there's no crap around any of the reeds or surrounding metal section. Have it unplugged from the mains when doing this of course.

Happened to me and that's what I did. Sorted it.

Good luck.

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 09:22:14 AM »
Yes, it is either that or reed(s) are slightly shorting out the pickup when hit hard. (Not aligned perfectly straight) I almost think that is more likely,because debris can cause crackle even when not playing. Do NOT file the space around the reed to prevent this, it will make that reed too quiet.

Condensation can also cause this noise, I.E. moving a Wurlitzer in cold weather and turning it on right away will make the same noise until it warms up.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 200A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2000 Yamaha acoustic piano
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...

Offline groover

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 11:28:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah i'm thinking its probably a reed (or more) not being aligned straight and contacting the pickup when hit hard cause it only really happens when i play hard. But no harm in cleaning between all reeds and pickup just in case there is some dust or dirt caught in there. Any suggestions on an easy method of finding reeds that too close to the pickup and could be the culprit? Maybe shining a light from underneath the reeds and seeing how much light i can see between each side of the reed and pickup?
Thanks heaps guys 

• MIDI Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 07:12:16 AM »
Hold a blank white card under the suspected reeds, and hold a bright flashlight below the card.  You may need to prop up some dampers to see better. You can also try holding the flashlight from above if you have trouble seeing the alignment.
You can also raise the dampers, and play suspected notes with power on, if they are shorting, you will see sparks.

Also, remember your tuning for those reeds will change if you loosen them and straighten them. There is a small amount of wiggle room from front to back. Sliding the reed towards the front of the piano will raise the pitch, towards the back will lower it. Not a lot, but enough to fine tune.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:22:26 AM by pianotuner steveo »
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 200A EP
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...

• MIDI Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 07:31:29 AM »
Also, you may have another issue. If you have to hit some notes real hard to get any volume, then those hammers may be letting off way too early. In this case, you won't get much or any volume out of those keys with a light touch. This is a common problem with Wurlitzers that haven't been properly serviced in a long time.
There is a reliable seller on eBay for this tool that doesn't require a minimum order for shipping. 8)
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 200A EP
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...