(HELP!) Tines mute when struck multiple times

Started by Tonie29, April 07, 2019, 09:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonie29

Hello.
I have an issue with tines muting whenever i strike notes with the sustain down. It's always after the initial hit and occurs every 2. - 5. time I hit the key. it happens on every note. I've heard dull notes like this is relatively normal due to the swing of the tine, but the problem with mine seems to be out of the ordinary, while it does it so often. I recently installed the miracle mod, and before that, it was not an issue. Can anyone help me diagnose the issue so i can fix it?

Thanks in advance!
Rhodes MKI 73, 1973
Moog Sub 37
Fender Twin Reverb

pnoboy

You are probably referring to the well-known issue with notes on the bass end of the piano.  If you restrike a note while it is still sounding, the note can get louder or softer.  It depends on where the tine is in its swing when the hammer strikes it.  There's no cure.

Tonie29

Hm.. Yeah, I know that often, there's no way to fix this kind of issue, but since the problem was less severe before i took the piano apart, it leads me to believe that there's some way to make it less of a problem. Also it occurs on all of the keys from bottom to top
Rhodes MKI 73, 1973
Moog Sub 37
Fender Twin Reverb

pianotuner steveo

A video would be very helpful. Your harp may need shimming, but again, a video would be helpful.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Tonie29

Quote from: pianotuner steveo on April 08, 2019, 06:15:42 AM
A video would be very helpful. Your harp may need shimming, but again, a video would be helpful.

All right.
Will record one as soon as I get home today!
Rhodes MKI 73, 1973
Moog Sub 37
Fender Twin Reverb

Tonie29

OK, so here's a video of the issue as requested: https://youtu.be/GTy3z3Nmy0Y

I tried to show it on a number of keys. I hit the keys at a fast pace, since it shows the frequency of muted notes. I should note in that regard, that if i let the tines ring for a time the muted notes are still as frequent. The very upper register seems OK, but the further down I play, the more noticeable the muted notes are. I tried to show it the best I could, but if you have any specific request for video or audio I will be happy to record more. I recorded the audio directly from my audio interface to get the clearest possible sound.

BTW sorry for the "Video edit redux" text on the video. Used a crappy lite video editor.
Rhodes MKI 73, 1973
Moog Sub 37
Fender Twin Reverb