Author Topic: shipping crate design?  (Read 161 times)

Offline obie

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
shipping crate design?
« on: May 22, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »
I'm contemplating sending my 200A to one of our talented EP techs.  I read the Vintage Vibe videos and article on packing an EP for shipping but since I'm intrinsically a "belt and suspenders" guy, I was thinking a light weight wooden crate with interior foam might be a better idea.  Since I tend to overbuild things and shipping costs are factored by weight, I'd like some ideas on a design.  I can take the measurements off the piano, but do you make the bottom of the crate stronger than the sides? IE 3/8 or 1/2" ply and 1/4" or 1/8" luan for top and sides?  1x3 or 1x4" 's for the frames?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline OZDOC

• Vendor
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: shipping crate design?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 07:38:40 PM »
Here are some things that have worked for international shipping.
Double wall cardboard is fine - but I always use bubble wrap and styrene foam layers.
I always try and make sure that the pack is a two person lift - so that a single guy doesn't keep dumping it on its end.
I try and make sure small forklift standoffs are included so forklift tines aren't punched into the keyboard.
David

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 07:45:44 AM »
All modern keyboards are shipped in thick cardboard boxes. The weight of real wood will add a ton of money to the shipping cost. I once shipped a Wurlitzer in a box from NY to Italy with no issues. The inner packing material will matter more than the outer shell. Wood will not stop a forklift puncture any better than cardboard. Just be sure to fully insure. And don't let the keyboard rattle around in the box. A minimum of 2" of bubble wrap or other suitable packing material should be used on all sides. I make the 4 corners much thicker.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 200A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2000 Yamaha acoustic piano
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...

Offline Electrickey

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:48:07 AM »
Might it not be more practical to invest in a flight case that you can use and resell than investing in a crate that needs to be torn down and rebuilt, adding to the "iffy-ness" of the structural integrity of the enclosure holding the piano?

A flight case is easier to grab, and will lessen the tendency to throw the package around for it's human-friendly box, corners and edges and HANDLES.

In fact you could rebox the flight case with cardboard if you don't want to advertise.
But insurance for over the replacement cost will be your friend.

Or, join uShip and have someone hand deliver your prized piano to the tech.

Many other ways to go on this.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:11:44 AM by Electrickey »