Author Topic: JC-40?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline melveyr

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
JC-40?
« on: August 02, 2019, 03:14:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to electric pianos, and a recent owner of a Wurlitzer 200A. There is a lot of talk about how the JC-120 is a great pairing for electric piano, but I can't find anything about the new JC-40 (2x10). I'm drawn to it because I'm looking for something clean, with headphone jack, and a line out (so that I can color DI if doing a late night session). I won't gig with this thing. My landlord lives above so I can't have them hate me!

Are the 10 inch speakers a deal breaker? Is that why it gets no love on this forum? I like playing R&B / neo-soul chords so I normally like to EQ out my low end so that I can play clustered voicings. Does that make having 12 inch speakers less relevant? Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:23:04 PM by melveyr »

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
Re: JC-40?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »

Before you spend $600 on a JC-40, get yourself down to the local music store and try one.  Make sure you love it 600 dollars worth.

You should be able to find a keyboard at the music store that has a reasonable Wurly emulation, and then you can estimate how it might sound in your house with your wurly at your expected volume levels.

Sean

Offline melveyr

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
Got to try it out on a digital nord keyboard yesterday. Don’t know if it was the samples but it sounded harsh / cold. Wasn’t able to try a 120 but the JC40 seems like a no go.

Offline bourniplus

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 10:41:57 PM »
I have a JC77 and really like how my Rhodes' sound through it. If the JC40 is similar, I guess it should work well with a Wurly too. 10" speakers can sound very nice. Plenty of bass as far as I'm concerned. (In my JC77 and Fender Princeton Reverb at least.)

Offline thetrufflehog

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
    • The Business of Pleasure
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:37:25 PM »
I'd like to suggest as others have that you try it, and add that you need to try it turned up loud. My amp (not a jc) is a solid state with 2x10" and I wish I had 12" speakers. In my experience it's not so much a question of eqing out the bass, but rather making sure you have good clarity and separation between the frequencies, and just a strong presence in the room. I have a much easier time getting a good sound eq wise when I use my 1x12 combo. I can get a good sound with my 2x10, but it takes a lot of work for me. I'm happy with my 2x10's, I just think I'd be happier with 2x12's.
FWIW I play rhodes, so in that regard it's a pretty different situation, but I do tend to play neo soul/jazz/r&b with a lot of close voiced chords.
Good luck and happy hunting!
1974 Stage 73
Korg Arp Odyssey
Nord Electro 3
Mason and Hamlin Model 50 Upright
Motion Sound KP200S
Kustom Coupe 36
(Rhodes) Behringer C9 Comp > EHX Soul Food > MXR Univibe Kokko Space Reverb > Speakeasy Vintage Stereo Vibrato Preamp
(ARP) Donner Yellow Fall Delay

Offline mvanmanen

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 06:43:27 PM »
I recently came into a JC-120. It's a loud amp. If I lived in an apartment I would look at alternatives.

It really is worthwhile bringing your Wurlitzer to a music store and trying out different amps and maybe even a powered speaker to find what you really like. Everyone has their own preferences.
Wurlitzer 200a
Wurlitzer 145
Fender Rhodes (1966, 1971, 1975)
Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo
Hohner Clavinet D6s and C
Hohner Pianet T
Hohner Pianet N and Combo Pianet
Hammond B3