Author Topic: General advice from those with experience...  (Read 312 times)

Offline jack_givdog

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
General advice from those with experience...
« on: October 07, 2019, 05:33:36 AM »
Hi!

Not too long ago I acquired a 77' Mark I Seventy-Three, my dream instrument! I got it pretty cheap here in the UK for £800, knowing it would need a little bit of work to get it to it's full potential (sound and playability-wise, I am in less of a rush to fix it up cosmetically). I am now stuck at a crossroads trying to figure out whether to get it fully serviced (I believe it hasn't been fully serviced in about 10 years), or to service it myself. I am pretty handy, and reckon I good have a really good go at the restoration, but have seen some urging people to get it serviced by a professional.

I love restoring things, so it wouldn't be a chore, but do you experienced folks out there recommend having a go or sending it to a pro? There is also the issue of not really knowing where to start.

Here is a link to some photos if that helps answer the question. https://imgur.com/a/WDlM483

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. I love the community here on the forum and spent many hours learning from here when fixing the passive electronics on my piano.

Thanks in advance!

Offline drpepper

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: General advice from those with experience...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
My advice would be to have a go at doing it yourself.

There is a range of knowledge in the previous threads here and across the web and if you have any issues just post them on here.

These instruments needs require regular work as they adjust over time and being able to quickly open the lid to adjust the voicing of one tine that sounds out will allow you to keep playing.

As far as I am aware there is nothing that can really be done to these that can't be undone (correct me if i am wrong).
Rhodes Suitcase 75
gibson 335

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »
You can do it yourself for sure.

First, fix the obvious things: 
Replace that missing tine on the lowest note,
Replace the missing hammer tips,
Buy yourself a cable with a right-angle 1/4" plug.  ;-)

Then replace all the grommets.  When you do the grommet job, you will get intimate with each and every tonebar, so you can clean them up as you go along.  Make sure that every tine block is tightly screwed to the tonebar, the tine is mounted straight.  The new grommets will make the piano sound very different - an immediate improvement.  This process will require that you adjust the voicing of every note as you go along or when you finish.  So the grommet job turns out to fix up the whole harp.

If the hammer tips are 1977 original, then you should probably replace all of the old hammer tips with new ones.  The new softer tips will change the sound significantly too. 

Then look around for other things to fix. 

Most of the links on this post are still alive:
https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=5721.msg28106#msg28106

Sean

Offline jack_givdog

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 02:37:06 AM »
Thank you both for your helpful and encouraging responses. Glad I will save myself a chunk of money and am excited to give this a go. Thanks for the pointers!

Jack

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 04:03:57 AM »
Completely agree with Sean, do it yourself.

D#23 needs the tine aligning but there's nothing there which looks particularily horrendous. Sean has already mentioned all the main things which would need doing and I would add to it replacing the damper felts.

Where are you in the UK Jack?
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline jack_givdog

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 05:14:16 AM »
Thanks for the comment Tim.

I will do that, thanks. I am in Cheltenham. It looks like you are Bristol based? Pretty close!

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 06:15:01 AM »
Not too far at all!
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com