News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

I found a reasonable deal on a Fender Rhodes Mark II stage. How are they?

Started by obZen, October 07, 2019, 08:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obZen

I'm not too experienced with the different models of Rhodes but I came across a Rhodes Mark II stage from 1979 in perfect condition for $1,400.  How is this model and era of Rhodes?  And is that a decent price?

sean

For that price, the Rhodes should be very clean and complete.  Not mint, and not completely restored, but probably partially restored or repaired, and clean and complete.

It should have the legs, cross bars, cross bar knob, sustain pedal and push rod.   It should have the case top with hinges in good shape.  (If it is missing the leg bag, no big deal, that thing is useless after 40 years.)

It should have no big rips in the tolex, but maybe one or two rough spots or small holes.  The Rhodes logo on the back of the case shouldn't be broken, and the logo on the name rail should be in perfect shape. 

It should play well and have no dead pickups or damaged key tops, and it should play well and sound good.

If all this is true... Buy it.

If it really is in perfect condition, I think $1400 is a reasonable price.

Sean

obZen

I appreciate the advice man.  Also, I appreciate your help in my other thread about restoring an old suitcase Rhodes as well.  Unfortunately I moved to a different city and it's still sitting in my family's workshop so I won't be able to work on it as frequently.  But it's coming along!

This is the ad here: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/d/newton-upper-falls-fender-rhodes-mark/6991605435.html

If i take the plunge I might offer him $1200.

Is this era inferior at all to the early 70's Rhodes?

pianotuner steveo

No, this is not inferior. Some differences, yes, but it says it is complete. It sounds like a good deal, but look inside, test it out. Everything is repairable, but test every key to be sure there are no dead pickups. I believe this will have the bump in the pedestals, making it easier to play than the earlier sluggish actions.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

obZen

All good to know, thanks.  Also is this a bit smaller and lighter than early 70's suitcases?  I was amazed how big and heavy mine is when I picked it up from my friend.

pianotuner steveo

I really don't there is much of a weight difference. That came in with the plastic case on the Mark V
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...