News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Wurlitzer Jack Springs and Front Rail Pins

Started by cinnanon, October 09, 2019, 07:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinnanon

Anyone have a source where I can get these items for a Wurlitzer EP (200 series)? I have some weak jack springs and rusty front rail pins.

pianotuner steveo

You can use acoustic piano parts from Vandaking. Much easier and cheaper than trying to find originals. Original springs will be just as old as the ones you want to replace anyway.  Make sure you buy springs meant for spinet or console pianos. NOT full size upright springs. The Wurlitzer action is just a miniature acoustic piano action, (sort of) these parts are interchangeable. I think they only charge .14 cents per spring!

These spring are a pain to change. You really should remove the whip assembly from the piano first. Use wood glue to replace. Make sure you get all of the old spring out. They do sell a reamer but you probably do not need it. I would start with the few that are not working properly, don't just take all 64 out at once unless you really want to go that far. Needle nose pliers help remove the old springs. (Wrap the old spring around the pliers and lift out) Are you sure that the jacks just don't need protek on the center pins?

The rail pins come in 2 different sizes too, match up the closest possible. (I think it's the shorter one) If they are too  long the keys may stick. These are just pressed into holes, but a drop of glue may be needed if holes are oversized. Be sure not to mount crooked, they are oblong.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

cinnanon

I looked into the Vandaking springs already (the shorter spinet ones that are 25/32" long) and they won't work. The diameter at the bottom of the coil is .230" whereas the bore on the wurlitzer whip is ~.210". I really don't feel like removing the fly and boring the hole larger but may have to. The 1" springs have a .200" coil diameter at the bottom which would fit, but the spring would probably buckle. I used the 8:1 solution on the center pin a couple times and it is definitely free. I shoved a new spring in there even though it didn't fit and it fixed my issue.

As for the rail pins, Vandakings aren't the right size either. Wurlitzers are .137" wide and 1-3/8" long.

pianotuner steveo

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Christian Clarke

Have you tried the Jack Springs from VV?

Also this tool looks pretty useful.

I don't know if it would be effective with rust though.

cinnanon

I did try their jack springs... unfortunately they are too big as well. As for that tool, that is quite interesting... do you have to use a polishing compound of some sort??

Christian Clarke

Have you reported your findings back to VV?

I would imagine it would need a polishing compound, I can't see how it could be effective otherwise.

Interestingly though, having been looking at this thread on the Piano Tech Guild website, it appears there is a tool made by Coleman for polishing key pins and a recommendation on which metal polish to use.

https://www.colemantools.com/product-page/key-pin-polisher
https://www.flitz.com/flitz-polish-paste/

cinnanon

How cool is that polisher! I wonder how it does on the oblong front rail pins.  Seems like they would tear it up?

As for reporting to VV, I have not. It states on their website that they are 1" springs. I bought these a year or two ago and don't know what the description said at the time. I know 1" springs will fit and have some coming today actually. I just don't know if they will buckle due to being too long.

Christian Clarke

Well it does say for balance rail and front rail pins. I guess running a drill at a low speed might be wise to begin with.