Author Topic: Rhodes MK iii EK10 To MK ii Conversion  (Read 226 times)

Offline manuelroland

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Rhodes MK iii EK10 To MK ii Conversion
« on: October 27, 2019, 11:51:38 AM »
Hello everybody,

First let me introduce myself. My name is Manuel Roland, I live in Belgium, I'm a musician and a composer for the cinema. I love old instruments and I love to bring them back to life when I can.

I just bought for cheap a non working Rhodes MK3 EK10.

When I plug it, it powers up but there is only a noise coming out of the output jack.

I'm good with a soldering iron and I have some knowledge in electronics but very basic. I'm no engineer.

There's two option to bring it back to life.

A- Find the problem in the electronic card and fix it. Very difficult for me because I don't have a schematic and I never succed to find the issues on electronic devices, except when something is burned or disconnected. Plus, I don't especialy like the synth sound of the MK3 and I  already have a lot of synths

B-Convert it to a MK2. I think it is my best option but I need help from you folks.

I have two main questions for you Rhodes experts

Question 1.

a. Right now, unlike in traditional Rhodes, each pickup output goes to the electronic card. Do you think I can rewire in a standard way. Is it correct to use the schema for the 73 keys Rhodes that I can find on vintage vibes site ?

b.If I rewire all the pickups in the Parallel/series, can i just put a jack at the output of the pickups or do I need a preamp of some sort ?

c. I'm good with a soldering iron but is there something i need to know when i unsolder/solder wires to the pickups ?

Question 2

In order to access the pickup, I will have to remove the big metal bars (Don't know the name) over the tines. Is there something I have to care to when unscrewing/ screwing back the metal bars ?

You can see some pictures of it here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ty8c3ih79ddnx18/AADRPq9yzTGGsg9Vorub1V3ja?dl=0

I would really appreciate help because I'd love to have this beautiful instrument working.

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Rhodes MK iii EK10 To MK ii Conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 03:44:41 AM »
Please don’t rip it apart. We recently resurrected one here  from the dead and although it was a lot of work it was worth it to keep this important piece of Rhodes history complete. You can find the schematics on the supersite. Here’s a video I made about the ek10 we worked on: https://youtu.be/kAexuDS7AL0

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:29:09 AM »
Please don’t rip it apart.

I'm with Dan. There are plenty of MK2's around, not many EK-10's and whilst they might not be the most desirable of Rhodes they are rarer than some.

If you're not keen on getting it fixed perhaps someone will trade you or alternatively you can sell it and try and get a different model.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline manuelroland

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 10:38:28 AM »
OK guys, I found somebody to repair it. I hope he will succeed. I'll let you know guys.

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 12:29:56 PM »

I never noticed the EK-10 link on http://www.fenderrhodes.com/service/manual.html
The pdf has lots of great detail http://www.fenderrhodes.com/pdf/mark3-service-manual.pdf

The only good method of converting this to a Mark II is the "sell-it or trade-it" method that Tim mentioned.

Unsoldering and re-soldering all those pickup connections is a guaranteed headache filled with melted nylon bobbins and popped-loose terminals.

Sean