News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

First Steps

Started by EauClaireGuy, November 05, 2019, 08:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EauClaireGuy

Hey guys! I just got my first wurly (206) and i was wondering what you guys do when you get one to get it running in tip top shape as fast as possible. I started with lubricating the action, I'm thinking about enabling the vibrato and possibly adding an effects loop next! I guess I'm not mainly looking for advice, just curious what you peeps have done.

beginnersluke

Vibratio is definitely nice.

Many people upgrade the amp to a new one (which would solve that problem).

If you've lubed the action, you should go through the whole regulation procedure (lost motion, let off) if you haven't already.

EauClaireGuy

Quote from: beginnersluke on November 07, 2019, 11:27:03 AM
Vibratio is definitely nice.

Many people upgrade the amp to a new one (which would solve that problem).

If you've lubed the action, you should go through the whole regulation procedure (lost motion, let off) if you haven't already.
Any way you could point me in the right direction for this? Also some of the keys are still sticking in the low end I think due to the key bushings, what should I do?

beginnersluke

Quote from: EauClaireGuy on November 07, 2019, 11:43:20 AM
Any way you could point me in the right direction for this?

A new amp or vibrato?

Vintage Vibe, Retrolinear, and Borish electronics all make replacement amps. (You can find the Borish one on Reverb, the others from their webpages.)

Quote from: EauClaireGuy on November 07, 2019, 11:43:20 AM
Also some of the keys are still sticking in the low end I think due to the key bushings, what should I do?

You can ease the key bushings with easing pliers (this is what the service manual recommends). You can also buy key bushing tools. To quote the service manual though "caution should be exercised so keys are not over eased". (With keys that are likely 40-50 years old, I'd also be worried about breaking them. You should totally do it, just carefully.)