Author Topic: Harp assembly not sitting flush with harp support  (Read 225 times)

Offline Animalbeats

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Harp assembly not sitting flush with harp support
« on: January 26, 2020, 05:36:13 PM »
Hi

The Harp assembly is not sitting flush with the harp support, as pictured.....what can I do?

Note: I tried to put the harp assembly on upside down by mistake and the assembly was somewhat contorted, however, I don't think there was enough force to truly warp the major player....

The harp pivot links also don't seem to be warped much at all..

Help much appreciated in advance.

Gordon

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
Re: Harp assembly not sitting flush with harp support
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 04:30:35 PM »

Check the harp frame with a carpenter's square to make sure it isn't a non-rectangular parallelogram.
If it is terribly bent, then the tine tips won't line up with the pickups.

If the harp simply needs to move a bit left or right so that the tines line up with the hammers when you lay the harp down on the harp supports, you can  force it into the exact position that you desire, and screw it in securely.  (If the slots in the harp frame are not big enough for your desired placement, you can enlarge the slots in the harp frame.  This is less work than drilling and tapping the harp supports.)

The harp pivot links are usually reasonably loose, but you can add washers on one side, and remove washers from the other side.  The washers are on the top end of the harp pivot links. 

Sean
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:39:18 PM by sean »

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 08:29:46 AM »
This is perfectly normal. It's not about whether the harp sits parallel with the support.

The way the harp has been setup is to ensure that the bottom, middle and top hammers all hit the tine sweet spot so it rings out perfectly.

The angle at which the harp is sitting on the support doesn't matter as long as it sounds good.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 12:25:06 PM »

OMG.  Thanks Tim.  I skipped right over the obvious strikeline conversation.

Gordon - See the strikeline discussion in chapter four of the service manual: http://www.fenderrhodes.com/service/manual.html
Precisely - http://www.fenderrhodes.com/org/manual/ch4.html#4-5
and the technote about strikeline at the bottom of http://www.fenderrhodes.com/service/escapement.html

Sean

Offline Animalbeats

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 04:02:54 PM »
Thanks everyone, it's easy to see when comparing my example to others, that this is totally normal.

Thanks for all your replies and kind help.

Be assured the knowledge will be passed on wherever it is needed.