Author Topic: Tool For Turning Guide Pins  (Read 209 times)

Offline bewells

  • Pre-Piano
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Tool For Turning Guide Pins
« on: February 19, 2020, 01:17:17 PM »
I apologize if this has been covered before, but after much searching I can't seem to find a solid answer.

I'd like to turn my guide pins to alleviate some side-to-side movement but don't want to use pliers out of fear of grinding them up.  Is there a recommended tool for turning these pins?

Offline Student Rhodes

  • Mark I
  • ****
  • Posts: 625
    • View Profile
Re: Tool For Turning Guide Pins
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 07:17:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen one in the past.  It looks like a large drum tuning key, but has a slightly oval shaped slot for putting over the pin.
Have you tried a piano supply store?

Offline pianotuner steveo

  • MIDI Mark V
  • *****
  • Posts: 3418
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Tool For Turning Guide Pins
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 09:03:09 PM »
Piano supply stores generally only sell to working techs. There is (or was) a tool with a U shaped slot that was made for this, but mine broke years ago. This is a quick but  temporary fix. The only correct way to fix this is to replace the key bushings, but it's a big job. I would just use pliers and place a piece of leather or felt between the tool and pins while turning so you do not chew up the pins.
Mine did not look like a drum tuning key. I found it the other day, not sure why I still have it, but it is broken. A stubborn pin will crack the cheap pot metal.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:44:17 AM by pianotuner steveo »
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2018 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...