Author Topic: Tool For Turning Guide Pins  (Read 182 times)

Offline bewells

  • Pre-Piano
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Tool For Turning Guide Pins
« on: February 19, 2020, 01:17:17 PM »
I apologize if this has been covered before, but after much searching I can't seem to find a solid answer.

I'd like to turn my guide pins to alleviate some side-to-side movement but don't want to use pliers out of fear of grinding them up.  Is there a recommended tool for turning these pins?

Offline Student Rhodes

  • Mark I
  • ****
  • Posts: 625
    • View Profile
Re: Tool For Turning Guide Pins
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 07:17:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen one in the past.  It looks like a large drum tuning key, but has a slightly oval shaped slot for putting over the pin.
Have you tried a piano supply store?

Offline pianotuner steveo

  • MIDI Mark V
  • *****
  • Posts: 3397
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Tool For Turning Guide Pins
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 09:03:09 PM »
Piano supply stores generally only sell to working techs. There is (or was) a tool with a U shaped slot that was made for this, but mine broke years ago. This is a quick but  temporary fix. The only correct way to fix this is to replace the key bushings, but it's a big job. I would just use pliers and place a piece of leather or felt between the tool and pins while turning so you do not chew up the pins.
Mine did not look like a drum tuning key. I found it the other day, not sure why I still have it, but it is broken. A stubborn pin will crack the cheap pot metal.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:44:17 AM by pianotuner steveo »
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2000 Yamaha acoustic piano
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...