Author Topic: Clavinet D6 rare preamp  (Read 357 times)

Offline JDB3

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Clavinet D6 rare preamp
« on: March 10, 2020, 01:05:46 PM »
This for just the general fund of information on the Clavinet D6 - in case you run into one.

This is a Beyer-less preamp from a D6 I'm currently restoring. I've been told by both Vintage Vibe and Clavinet.com that these are somewhat rare and I've certainly never found any reference / info on them.

What I know::

1. Hohner wanted to improve the noise issues with the D6 and briefly produced some models with a newer transistor config (presumably later in the D6 production timeline)

2. The preamp is based around a two-stage amplifier with a high impedance input chip - 592H2 and it replaces both the Beyer and the two 3-pin transistors of the original design.

I was only able to do restricted testing with mine before I moved on to the restoration as this D6 was missing all but four strings and hammer tips were gone - that said it was certainly quieter than the norm for a D6. Have to wait until it's all back together to really make a determination on that.

PCB Front
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qFUqnioTxvHtC1r-49Ii-LPOCUOGhiB-/view?usp=sharing

PCB Reverse
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JxZOa3fnDZxktpFu1CdLyuEmUV5y2jf8/view?usp=sharing

Serial Number
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c25tCSr_n2tVTSGqfHkBj9Xy9Uu3UfRU/view?usp=sharing

JD
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:55:14 PM by JDB3 »

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Clavinet D6 rare preamp
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 12:13:37 AM »
I'll be interested to hear more details.
I take it the Clav has no serial numbers or production dates on it?

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 05:03:22 AM »
First time I've seen one without it. Would love to know more about the Clavinet and if you have anymore pictures / serials that would be amazing. There might be a date stamp on the volume pot which would help date it massively.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 05:12:17 AM »
My bet is that this clavinet is 1978, based on the use of that IC.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline JDB3

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 12:57:50 PM »
I'll be interested to hear more details.
I take it the Clav has no serial numbers or production dates on it?

SR -
No dates but serial number on both the case floor and switch block - I've updated my OP

Offline JDB3

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »
First time I've seen one without it. Would love to know more about the Clavinet and if you have anymore pictures / serials that would be amazing. There might be a date stamp on the volume pot which would help date it massively.

Tim-
Clav was bought on Ebay and came from a music store in Wisconsin USA as I recall. OP has been updated with serial number and PCB reverse. I'll post up a better shot of the PCB Front with wiring connections marked, in case anyone wants to create a schematic. The back image can be reversed left to right for solder point alignment. The original SIP is no longer available and I cannot find logic diagram for it but there are more current replacements.

Cheers,
JD
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:04:59 PM by JDB3 »