Author Topic: Troubleshooting pickups in my first Clavinet  (Read 346 times)

Offline alexdecker

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Troubleshooting pickups in my first Clavinet
« on: March 10, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »
Hey all

Just bought a Hohner Clavinet Duo. I have never owned this instrument before. I know that the ABCD switches regulates how the pickups make the instrument sound. However, if I have C and A pressed down, no sound comes out of the instrument. I am not sure if this means that the bass pickup or the top pickup is dead. From my understanding, any combination of button presses should work on the ABCD buttons - but maybe I am mistaken?

- Alex

Offline JDB3

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: Troubleshooting pickups in my first Clavinet
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 05:45:06 PM »
On a D6 - C+A= the lower pickup.

And again, on a D6 the switch solder pins are very flexible and exposed. Sometimes the wild hair space wiring coming off of the switch block can push against these and cause issues. Not sure if that exists on a P-C Duo. I'd start with an eyeball of the switch wiring and ohm out your pickup(s).

J

Offline mvanmanen

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Troubleshooting pickups in my first Clavinet
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 09:30:31 PM »
I have had this happen to me a number of times with my DUO and then I start to worry one of the pick-ups is going...then I relax and give my switches a really, really, really good clean....and then I work the switches....and then it's all good...Hopefully it is something as simple as this...
Wurlitzer 200a
Wurlitzer 145
Fender Rhodes (1966, 1971, 1975)
Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo
Hohner Clavinet D6s and C
Hohner Pianet T
Hohner Pianet N and Combo Pianet
Hammond B3