News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

1982, the best year?

Started by Animalbeats, March 29, 2020, 04:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Animalbeats

Came across a member of the "Fender Rhodes piano Fan page"

Saying that  "

I understand that for the year (1982) is the model that brings together the best mechanics of MKI with the optimizations of the MKII"

Is this true, does anyone know?

OZDOC

At the risk of promoting my own book, Alan Lenhoff, one of the authors of Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music, interviewed several of the knowledgeable techs in the US about this and discussed the issue of best Rhodes models in the Rhodes Piano chapter of that book. Opinions vary widely, and the answer is often related to the style of music you are playing. I have a superb early '80s MkII Suitcacse which is wonderfully playable - but so too is my mid-'70s MkI. I know that Alan prefers an early '70s Mk I.
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/

The Real MC

There is no universal agreement on "best year".

sean

FB fan groups never lie.  1982 was indeed the best year for the Fender Rhodes.  Well, if and only if:
(a) you have a 1982 model and are talking about trying to sell it, or
(b) you are "high on crack" (a phrase that was popular in 1982).

The 1982 Rhodes would probably have plastic keys, so the action mechanism is very loud (clickety clackity pung pung thump bonk), because the back end of the keys smack the thin felt strip on the bottom of the case and bounce impressively.  The action is slower or less responsive than wooden key models (even if you move the balance rail to the forward position in the plastic key rhodes, which you absolutely should do).  The plastic balance rail pins are more likely to break during player abuse or mishap than metal balance rail pins.

I don't hate my plastic-key Rhodes, but it is not as well loved as my other models.

Anyway, the improvements that lead to the Mark II certainly showed up in the late seventies Mark I pianos.  The only real differences in the first Mark II models is the flat-top lid and the different aluminum extrusion for the name rail with a control panel mounted in it.  (Otherwise, my 1979 Mark I is identical to my 1981 Mark II.)

When they completely changed the guts with the introduction of the plastic keys and removed the keyframe, I think they still called it a Mark II to try to mask the huge design change.  Claiming that the move to plastic keys would be a significant optimization would be a difficult statement to defend.  Maybe the statement originated in some 1982 Rhodes advertising copy, which would satisfiy condition (a) above.

Sean

Student Rhodes

C'mon guys, let's not sink into didactic pronouncements about the "best year" for the Rhodes. 

Sure you can argue Raymacs vs. Torringtons or even Singer vs. Shchaller.  You can go on and on about Jordan vs. Janus vs. Peterson etc.  You might have a preference for solid keys over Pratt Reads.  Wood vs. plastic hammers, or felt on the key ped vs. on the back of the hammer cam... Balderdash!

As anyone can tell you, in all things, what's "best" shall only be determined by the way it looks.

So, Mk I wins it, hands down... (TA-DA!)

Though, it sure doesn't hurt that most have Torringtons, wood hammers and a Peterson.

OZDOC

Who can argue with that? :)
The Mk I is a class act.
Very elegant.
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/

stevie keyz

whatever year your Rhodes was made is the best year.
In my opinion, early '75
1975 Stage 73
Rhodes Mk 80
Yamaha CP20
Roland VK-09
MicroKorg