News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

New Tine, No Sustain

Started by theseacowexists, May 07, 2020, 11:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theseacowexists

I just bought brand new parts for a note that was missing from from a Rhodes (#73, the high E). Screws, springs, grommets, tine, tonebar, tuning spring. Put it all together and it produces nothing but a fast PLINK with only a vague sense of any pitch to it. It does this even when the assembly is out of the piano - holding it by the screws and tapping the tine. Did the same test with #72 assembly, that sounds just as good as it does in the piano. I know the high notes can have trouble with sustain but this seems like something else is amiss. Anyone else experience this? Could the tine just be a dud?

OZDOC

It is possible that the tine itself is not firmly seated in the mounting block. Any looseness in this sleeve fit will destroy the tine's ability to ring.
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/

pianotuner steveo

If that is the case, has anyone ever tried repairing this issue with a drop of superglue? It may be worth trying, place the block of the time on a workbench with the tine sticking straight up. Place a drop or two of THIN CA glue at the base of the tine. It may be enough to help.

CA glue has many uses in acoustic piano repairs.

It would be a neat experiment, but if the new tine is returnable, I wouldn't try it on that one.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

cinnanon

Did you try a tone bar clip?
Is the tineblock tightened firmly?

theseacowexists

As far as I can tell, the tine is seated firmly in the block. Doesn't wiggle in the slightest.

Tineblock is tightened firmly as well. Tightening the screw any further just starts to turn the block clockwise.

I don't have a tonebar clip, although I did try a makeshift one at the vendor's suggestion. I tried a small binder clip, still got nothing but a bottle-like CLINK when striking the tine.

pianotuner steveo

Will the vendor replace it?
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

sean

I think you should have another go at tightening the tine block onto the tonebar.

Put the tine block into a bench vise, and use a small block of wood in your hand to push against the tonebar to keep it from turning.  Turn the wrench with the other hand, and you will get a very tight tine that is aligned with the super-short tonebar.

Sean

theseacowexists

I tried tightening it in a vise, still no luck. I'm gonna call the vendor tomorrow and see if they'll replace it.

pianotuner steveo

Have you tried swapping it with the tine and tonebar from the key to the left of it to see if it sounds any better? If it sounds better, then you may have a hammer tip problem on the dud key,  if it sounds the same, it's the tine.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...