News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Where to start on this chopped 203

Started by oranginafiend, June 01, 2020, 08:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oranginafiend

Hi all,

I picked up a chopped 203 today at the local music store for only $400. Pretty happy about it all around. Problem is that it's definitely got some electrical issues and my electrical knowledge consists of being able to wire a basic 12v circuit.

It turns on and actually will produce sound through the aftermarket 1/4" jack, so long as the volume is turned all the way up. However it's very distorted.

Looking at the amp, I see two wires from the power transformer that aren't connected to the circuit board, and I also see a green clip on a single capacitor.

My first thought is just to solder the connections from the power transformer and give it a whirl, but as stated, I have no real electrical knowledge and don't know how to do this without possibly shocking myself. That's my biggest worry. I'm a huge DIY guy and I can figure most anything out, but for most things I get a lot of chances to fail and redo and learn from my mistakes. Won't be a whole lot of learning if I get shocked to death the first time I try lol.

Any ideas on what the best course of action is? Do I need to read electronics 101 before I start working on this thing? Or is it relatively safe?

https://streamable.com/8ckr2f

pianotuner steveo

If you really don't know what you are doing, I recommend downloading the service manual and have a pro look at it.  There are shock hazards inside a Wurlitzer. The reed bar is powered with about 150vdc for one thing. A common cause of distortion in these are the fuses that are soldered onto the board being blown, but it sounds like you have other issues too.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...