Author Topic: Intermittent Suitcase noises/hums  (Read 189 times)

Offline ForkintheRhodes

• Fiesta Red
  • NYC based keys player
    • View Profile
    • Instagram:
Intermittent Suitcase noises/hums
« on: June 01, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »
Hello all!

My 1979 Rhodes Mark I suitcase has been strangely noisy rather suddenly over the last few weeks. I've been playing with a synth in tandem with it and I notice when they're both plugged into the same power outlet on the wall, the suitcase amp makes a really loud whining noise that almost sounds like interference. This stops when I unplug the synth. However, even without the synth plugged in, the ground hum has gotten noticeably louder when I record my Rhodes via DI at home. When playing it without headphones just for practice/leisure it's barely noticeable, and in the past when practicing with headphones I barely even detected any background hiss.

Does this indicate any issues to be addressed with the Suitcase amp? It's never given me any trouble before when plugged into the wall with other keyboards and I want to try to minimize the ground hum as well. I admit I'm not the most electrically savvy, but any pointers in the right direction would be a big help.

Thanks!
1965 British Vox Continental
1967 Italian Vox Continental V-302
1979 Rhodes Mark I Suitcase 73
1980 Rhodes Mark II Stage 88
1968 Fender Rhodes Piano Bass
1957 Hammond M-3
2016 Hammond Sk-2
1964 Vox Buckingham Amplifier
1965 Vox Berkeley Amplifier
1968 Gibson G-101
1969 Vox Continental Baroque
1972 Fender Quad Reverb
1976 Leslie 860 Pro-Line

Offline stevie keyz

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent Suitcase noises/hums
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 12:35:46 AM »
is your synth on top of the rhodes? maybe it is an electromagnetic interference and could be fixed with some shielding. not sure just a thought
1975 Stage 73
Rhodes Mk 80
Yamaha CP20
Roland VK-09
MicroKorg