Author Topic: Where to start on this chopped 203  (Read 242 times)

Offline oranginafiend

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Where to start on this chopped 203
« on: June 01, 2020, 08:21:01 PM »
Hi all,

I picked up a chopped 203 today at the local music store for only $400. Pretty happy about it all around. Problem is that it's definitely got some electrical issues and my electrical knowledge consists of being able to wire a basic 12v circuit.

It turns on and actually will produce sound through the aftermarket 1/4" jack, so long as the volume is turned all the way up. However it's very distorted.

Looking at the amp, I see two wires from the power transformer that aren't connected to the circuit board, and I also see a green clip on a single capacitor.

My first thought is just to solder the connections from the power transformer and give it a whirl, but as stated, I have no real electrical knowledge and don't know how to do this without possibly shocking myself. That's my biggest worry. I'm a huge DIY guy and I can figure most anything out, but for most things I get a lot of chances to fail and redo and learn from my mistakes. Won't be a whole lot of learning if I get shocked to death the first time I try lol.

Any ideas on what the best course of action is? Do I need to read electronics 101 before I start working on this thing? Or is it relatively safe?

https://streamable.com/8ckr2f

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start on this chopped 203
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 09:02:09 PM »
If you really don't know what you are doing, I recommend downloading the service manual and have a pro look at it.  There are shock hazards inside a Wurlitzer. The reed bar is powered with about 150vdc for one thing. A common cause of distortion in these are the fuses that are soldered onto the board being blown, but it sounds like you have other issues too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 09:04:05 PM by pianotuner steveo »
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...