News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

206A Vibrato and Aux out install

Started by Fortyhourdays, June 07, 2020, 01:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortyhourdays

Hello Everyone,

I'm a brand new member from Nashville, Tennessee.  I picked up a 206A student model a couple weeks ago for cheap and like many new 206A owners I immediately felt the need to dive in and add Vintage Vibe's Vibrato and Aux out kit.  I should add, the EP was functioning perfectly when I got it.  Having tackled small jobs before like adding a Leslie switch to my Hammond C3 and working on some old radios a little with my dad back in the day, I figured I could handle the install.

It went well, and my vibrato is working now.  The issue I'm trying to figure out now is the volume pot seems to not function when attached the way it originally was.  It turns on, but the internal speakers are just constantly at full volume no matter the potentiometers position.  (this is with the internal speakers connected to the amp out pin. Is there a specific place I need to ground the speakers to?)   If I swap my red and white leads from the volume pot on the board, the volume control works, but then the Aux out no longer works. My best guess is something to do with the aux out pin and jumper wire I added from the kit?, but before I go desoldering anything, I thought maybe you all would have an idea of what I'm missing.  I also have a bad ground buzz from my aux out, but I'm assuming that probably just means I don't have a good ground solder connection for it, so I'll have to double check those joints (there are 3 right next to each other on the board, 2 of which I had to add, so I'm guessing maybe I didn't get a good solder joint on one).

One final thing.  Does anyone know where I can pick up a 206A metal foot?  One of mine came broken.  I've looked on eBay with no luck, but I assume there has to be some out there since everyone is probably tossing them when they chop their 206's

Thanks!

Jon
Wurlitzer 206A
Hammond C3
Leslie 22h and 222
Yamaha U1
According to my wife, "Too many guitars and basses"

pianotuner steveo

Pm sent regarding the foot....

Sorry I can't help with the other issue.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

pianotuner steveo

The best thing for you to do is contact vintage vibe about your issue. It sounds like something is wired incorrectly.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Fortyhourdays

Yes, I'll try giving them a call and see if they can help me. Thanks.
Wurlitzer 206A
Hammond C3
Leslie 22h and 222
Yamaha U1

Fortyhourdays

Good news. After re-soldering the jumper cable, everything works. I also got rid of my ground buzz. One more question I have is, when installing the music rack, what order do the washers and which way do the rubber grommets go in the lid. The previous owner had rigged up some sort of home made coat hanger music rack which I'm replacing.   
Wurlitzer 206A
Hammond C3
Leslie 22h and 222
Yamaha U1

pianotuner steveo

I'm not sure what you mean by what way the rubber grommets go- they have slits in the middle, there should be an equal amount of rubber on the inside as well as the outside. If someone replaced yours with a different type, the thick rubber needs to go on the outside. I put the washer on the screw, then through the music rack, into the rubber washer.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...