Hammond transformer inside D6

Started by DAtkinson, July 08, 2020, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAtkinson

Hi all

1st post, working on a D6 which I picked up a decade ago.

Trying to figure out what is going on inside. Looks like somebody has done some hobbyist work, and there is a Hammond transformer wired into the power supply.

I've attached a pic, can anybody tell me what is going on in here?

Thanks,

David

Jenzz

Hi .-)

Looks like someone 'implanted' a mains powered supply. The 4 diodes in the middle form a bridge rectifier...

Any transformer nearby the pickups will introduce hum, so maybe you should return to the original, battery powered config...

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

pianotuner steveo

Those 2 wires with the electrical tape look like a short that's about to happen. If you don't restore it back to the way it was, at the very least, use shrink tubing in place of the electrical tape. It will be much safer.  If you don't have any shrink tubing, temporarily add more electrical tape to make it safer.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

DAtkinson

Thank you both.

I'll be restoring it to the original configuration, with 9V battery jack and a DC jack at the back. (I've heard its best to run it off 9V though, instead of a power adapter.)

While I have this thread going, I'm also looking at upgrading the preamp with a rebuild kit, either the one at Vintage Vibe or at clavinet.com, anybody have experiences with those, or can compare them to each other? Does anybody know if those kits will take you part of the way in the de-noising battle? (As opposed to / in addition to getting a shielding box for the preamp.)

Thanks,

Jenzz

Hi .-)

The clavinet.com preamp is akind of 'clone' of the original design (using the Beyer / Pikatron transformer and inductors for the filter) while the VV use their own preamp design, which is more of a 3-band EQ + AutoWah. Both of them sound fine and have a low noise floor, but they sound different.

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

DAtkinson

Thanks Jenzz. I was actually referring to the component kits that they each sell for around $20USD.
https://www.vintagevibe.com/collections/clavinet-electronics/products/clavinet-preamp-rebuild-kit
https://store.clavinet.com/Clavinet-D6-Preamp-Upgrade-Kit-_p_22.html

The clavinet.com may well be the component version of their ultra preamp, but that can't be the case with the VV kit, as their vibanet preamp is totally different.