Author Topic: No sound from 62 thru 73 keys on a 1973 Fender Rhodes Stage 73..help!  (Read 309 times)

Offline JB

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Hi folks,
Anyone recommend what to check to find out why I'm not getting any sound when I hit the high end keys 62 thru 73. Nothing obvious that I can see or feel upon close inspection and I don't see any corrosion on any pickups. 1 thru 61 work and sound fine. I would think it has to be something simple though not necessarily obvious or easy to fix. Would a posted photo of that section help? I didn't have the amp(Crate) I used to test it up very high in volume, would that make any difference? Thanks!
JB
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 02:56:49 PM by JB »

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile

JB,

My Ouija board says that the loops of wire between pickups running along the back solder terminals is touching a little loop of wire that connects the front solder terminals.  This could be anywhere in that group of three, so at pickup 61F, 62F#, or 63G.  But that would only short out three notes.   Hmmm... could this be the problem in each of the groups above that?  I doubt it.

It could be that the pickups are all pulled back away from the tips of the tines, or that the pickups are not well-aimed at the tines, of that the treble on the Crate was turned all the way down, or that the strike line is way off so that the hammers are not hitting the tines, or that all the tuning springs on those notes have evaporated, or that your ears are broken and can't hear above 1390Hz (run to the doctor!  You are the patient zero!).  Check some of these ideas, ignore others.

I really enjoy guessing out of the blue, but photos always help.

Sean

Offline JB

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Thanks Sean...I'll look into cranking the amp and treble up first. I think you're a wizard and I thank you.B n touch. One guy said to tap the pickups and see if I hear anything.Do u agree to do that and do I uses a metal tapper or does it matter?  Jb

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile

JB,

You can tap the tip of the pickup with a screwdriver, and it will make a LOUD pop and clank as the magnet makes the screwdriver slam against the pickup tip - so turn the amp gain way down.  I have done this, but it is never an enjoyable method, and you don't really need to put your speakers through this torture.

However, it does help in the situation where you have one very quiet note, but you refuse to believe that the pickup is dead.  If one pickup is dead in a group-of-three, the neighboring pickups will still create some current in reaction to the moving tine.  The note with the dead pickup will sound quiet and ghostly, but audible.  If you tap the pickup on the quiet note, you will get no loud pop when the magnet grabs the screwdriver.  Then you can confidently declare the pickup dead.

Sean

Offline JB

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Hi Sean,
    I just tested all the pickups and they all make the same thumping noise thru the amp. The alignment of tines isn't perfect on the keys that don't sound off but no different than a lot that are sounding off fine. Did notice one thing about where the keys that don't sound off, 62-thru 73, the front and possibly rear springs for those keys that don't sound off are blue tinged, almost like a factory coating but it doesn't look like corrosion. Otherwise they look the same as the rest except for color. Any thoughts on that as I'm not sure what else to check. The tines are close to the magnets so distance shouldn't be it. Gotta be something simple. JB

Offline JB

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Hey there, I showed my ignorance not knowing the springs on the last group are supposed to be blue, sorry about that. I did check to see if any of the back soldered wires on the pickups were touching the front ones and doesn't appear to be, they are very consistent. JB

Offline JB

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
One last thing. Should I be able to hear the note slightly on every key when I hit them firmly with it not plugged into an amp?
JB