Author Topic: Replaced 1st low E note Tine and doesn't sound good and can't tune it low enough  (Read 303 times)

Offline JB

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Novice t rex JB here,
   The very first far left tine was the only thing missing on the harp I purchased and I installed a new pre-cut one from VV today and it's doesn't sound very good plus I can't get it to sound any lower than the key next to it even with spring almost to the pickup.The tine was almost too long and I had to move the pickup away from it when I installed it. I am using a, found in the case spring, that looks like all the rest already on the harp. I know the screw that holds the tine body has to be put on the tone bar very tight and I did not have a vise and but it seems very secure and I did the best I could with a rachet and socket. Up for suggestions and thanks once again. jb

Offline OZDOC

• Vendor
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
If you can't tune it low enough you're going to need another piece of spring weight to increase the tip mass of the tine.
If the note doesn't sound like the few near it, check to see whether the tip of the tine is positioned at the same height and distance relative to the pickup nose.
David
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/

Offline JB

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Thank's Ozdoc, Will try adding another spring. All the tines are targeted well and as consistent as I can get them at the pickups. Thanks for the quick reply. JB

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
The springs come in different sizes, they don't all look exactly the same. The far left tines use larger springs, and yes, sometimes 2 on one tine like David suggested. You may be using a spring from higher up in the keyboard. Do you have any more springs?
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline JB

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Thanks very much. I have about three more springs so I will monkey with that and put 2 on the low e.  JB

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile

JB,

Get a vise.  If you want sustain, get a vise.

Sean