Painting a Rhodes Mk 1 Harp Cover

Started by Yaniv Brener, July 01, 2020, 05:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yaniv Brener

Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I'm finally getting around to a project thanks to COVID time...I bought a spare harp cover a few yrs ago from a guy that tried to paint it and did a terrible job, then never got around to fixing it. Here's a picture of the starting product.

Tips appreciated, but I've been reading the threads on here about painting already so I feel pretty set to get started. I'll post updates here (and it'll keep me honest and on track ;))

My process idea:

• Sand off existing paint & texture (80, 150, 220 grits)
  • Primer
  • Wet sand (400 or 800 grit)
  • Base coat
  • All-in-one flake/candy paint
  • 2K Clear coat
  • Wet sand (1500, 2000 grits)
  • Polish & buff with some polishing compound

Fingers crossed!

Yaniv Brener

Well that was a lot of sanding. Big tip: take care on the edges to not change or flatten the curvature of the cover. Move quickly and change angles a lot.

Interesting note, looks like someone had repaired that differently colored edge in the past? I'm not sure but it seems to be a different material than the rest of the cover.

DAtkinson

Yaniv Brener

Yep, but unfortunately the update is I ran into some trouble with the primer. I sprayed on 2 cans, and after the second can noticed some strange little bubbles forming (finger for scale). I'm trying to find out what could have caused this. Will be sanding it off and re-spraying.

Yaniv Brener

Making progress! I sanded the bubbles down and also took some of the first primer off before re-applying primer. I suspect the bubbles were either due to spraying in really hot weather or lots of static electricity attracted a ton of dust. I also had to use a new type of primer since apparently the entire US's paint supply is disrupted (thanks, COVID.)

The first primer I tried was Rustoleum's Filler Primer, but now the only one I could find was Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover in Flat White. I applied a couple coats, probably went too thick on the second so I waited a good 2-3 days to make sure it was fully dry/cured.

Finished by wet sanding with 400-grit, next comes the base coat.

Yaniv Brener

IT'S (almost) DONE!!

Clear coat is on, just haven't wet sanded or buffed & polished yet. I'll post a longer summary later but for now check it out!  8)

sean

Looks pretty sweet!

I also like the paints booth!  Great idea.

Sean

Yaniv Brener

Thanks! I went back and took some more pics with better lighting - you can really see the flake and true color a lot better in these.  8)

sean

It really looks beautiful.  How soon until we can see it on the piano?

Sean

Yaniv Brener

Wellll, I left home for a 2-3 month roadtrip and won't be back till November. Gonna be a little while!