Author Topic: Mildew Removal From Tolex?  (Read 177 times)

Offline rhodesworks

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Mildew Removal From Tolex?
« on: August 28, 2020, 10:30:46 AM »

A customer has called saying that while in storage his Rhodes has developed mildew on the case. He says the interior seems fine. He's asking for the best way to remove it without harming the tolex.
Hs anyone had a similar problem and what worked for you?

Offline rhodesworks

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: Mildew Removal From Tolex?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 09:50:44 AM »
Anybody have a suggestion? He'd like to bring it in to get it checked out, but I'd rather the exterior was cleaned before bringing it in to the shop.

Offline JB

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: Mildew Removal From Tolex?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 12:49:32 PM »
I cleaned mine with a mild cleaner using a cloth, a medium stiff bristle brush, a toothbrush for nooks, crannies and corners and then Armor All detailer to finish up and coat it slightly. Tolex is tough stuff and you don't have to baby it unless its in bad shape. My guitar luthier friend has cleaned tons of Tolex cases and amps using Windex, Bounty paper towels and Armor All and he swears by it. When you use the cleaner don't let it sit too long before you wipe it off and I would work medium size areas one at a time. Worked great for me. If it has a bad smell like mine did, diluted white vinegar and water will help and so will letting the sun hit it for a good while afterwards. Good luck!