Author Topic: Picked up a Fender Rhodes 88 Suitcase Piano at an auction  (Read 83 times)

Offline Rahnnyboy

• View Profile
Picked up a Fender Rhodes 88 Suitcase Piano at an auction
« on: November 16, 2020, 06:34:59 PM »
I was hoping for some help in figuring out its value and maybe finding a buyer.
I have attached a few pictures from earlier today - if there is anything I should zoom in to help with ID, let me know.
Apologies for being a total novice!  This was a liquidation auction and I thought I was buying a hefty suitcase for sound equipment - didn't realize it had a valuable EP inside until I opened it 12 months later!

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
Re: Picked up a Fender Rhodes 88 Suitcase Piano at an auction
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 11:43:48 PM »

You have the top half from an 88-key 1978 Rhodes Mark I Suitcase piano.  See the photo at the bottom right of https://www.fenderrhodes.com/pianos/mark1b.html.

My five-photo appraisal is $300. 

If I knew more, I might be better-equipped to give a real value estimate.  Like... do all the keys work?  Are there missing or broken tines?  Are there mice living in it?  Were there?  Do all of the pickups work?  Any signs of water damage?  Is there more tolex damage on the bottom of the piano or other areas we cannot see?  Is there a reason that you photographed the piano with the top lid flopped over the name rail?  (It should fit behind the namerail, like in the photo mentioned above.  Insert the front behind the namerail, and then drop the back corners into place.)

Does the preamp work?  Are the pots scratchy?  (The preamp needs a power supply to bring it to life.  A pair of 9V (or a boatload of AA) batteries will be adequate for testing, but a + and - 15VDC supply is what the preamp is designed to have.  See my moronical quest to build a power supply for my Janus preamp,)

In what part of the world are you trying to sell this top half of a Suitcase 88 Rhodes piano?  If you are selling in Australia, you will get top dollar, because there are Tusken Raiders crawling from Perth to Brisbane searching for Rhodes pianos.  If you are selling in a major US city, you should be able to find a local buyer within a few weeks.

Maybe a fairer initial appraisal would be $500 - $200 for the preamp, and $300 for the piano top.
If you bring it into fairly functional condition, you might hope to get $1000 or more for it.  If it were in fantastically beautiful condition, obviously more.

By the way, you should not sell it.  You should keep it in the family.  Find a nephew or niece who plays and is handy with a screwdriver.

Take a closer look at it, and tell us what you find.

Sean
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:46:00 PM by sean »