Author Topic: Post your Rhodes pics and its story  (Read 352049 times)

Offline ctenophonic

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jessendesign.com
Post your Rhodes pics and its story
« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2008, 09:38:15 PM »
Quote from: "bjammerz"
Well because they're right next to the poweramp on the player's side, I'm assuming it's some kind of effects loop for the cabinet, or additional inputs or outputs.  Probably has nothing to do with the actual piano part, maybe when they used speaker cabinet by itself with other things.

hmm... good call. I'll have to give it a try.

Offline billulsund

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2008, 02:49:02 AM »
Quote from: "Mark II"
Hi.
VintageVibe and Speakeasy aswell have the knobs.
No quest anymore.

Mark II

Well, I just got my new volume knob from Vintage Vibe, and it is not a perfect match. The existing knobs are a cone shape, while the knobs sold at Vintage Vibe and Speakeasy are cylinder shaped.
1974 Suitcase 73, 1975 Suitcase 88

Offline MikeMalone

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2008, 02:57:08 AM »
I've never seen a cone-shaped knob? I think that's a mod of some sort....
1976 Rhodes Suitcase 73
1966 Fender BandMaster Blackface
1955 Hammond M3
1966 Wurlitzer 140B
Yamaha Motif 6
Nord Lead 3
Casio CDP-100 (pretty good Rhodes sound!)

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2008, 03:41:23 AM »
Quote from: "billulsund"

Well, I just got my new volume knob from Vintage Vibe, and it is not a perfect match. The existing knobs are a cone shape, while the knobs sold at Vintage Vibe and Speakeasy are cylinder shaped.

sorry, didnt know this fact. I thought it's a perfect match. But I think the result looks better than mixing different knob desgins ?

Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

Offline billulsund

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2008, 10:48:41 AM »
Quote from: "MikeMalone"
I've never seen a cone-shaped knob? I think that's a mod of some sort....

They are definitely the original knobs. The lady I got it from bought it new in 1974 and said that nothing on it had been changed (except that she lost the volume knob and lid).

Offline billulsund

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »

sorry, didnt know this fact. I thought it's a perfect match. But I think the result looks better than mixing different knob desgins ?

Mark II

Yeah, the Vintage Vibe replacement knob is very close to the original and definitely looks better than the Peavey amp knob I had temporarily put on there. But it still would be nice if I could find an exact match.

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2008, 01:04:33 PM »
There were 2 styles of concentric knobs used on the Peterson preamps.  the early style of cone-shaped was used from about 1968 or whenever it first came out, upto about early 1974 when the cyllidrical was used until end of production.

You'll probably never be able to find an original cyllindrical concentric knob, so the speakeasy mismatch will still be the only answer to a functioning knob.

Here are some sample photos of the early concentric knobs.  If you notice they have a dot indicator on the outer knob only, the cyllindrial with lines on both knobs came later (though if you can take a close up pic of your Bill I'd love it!)

Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2008, 04:51:49 PM »
thanks, bjammerz, although for me it's hard to tell, never saw a suitcase, nor touched the knobs. When I was doing my research for getting suitable knobs for my Peterson Preamp I would have been glad if the refabricates were already on the market. Took my quite some time to find fitting concentrics knobs.
anyway.

Mark II

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2008, 05:26:37 PM »
oh yeah of course.  If anything these replacements are better because the first generation knobs had no indicator on the inner knob.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

Offline billulsund

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Take a closer look
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2008, 02:30:37 AM »
Here are some closer pictures of the preamp knobs on my Fender Rhodes. You can see the difference between the old concentric knobs and the ones you can get from Vintage Vibe or Speakeasy. I gave up hope on finding an original after dicovering how rare they are, but I think this looks pretty good.

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2008, 02:33:19 AM »
allright, now I got the point. But why do you buy a concentric knob for a non concentric potentiometer ?

Mark II

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »
If you want to have a full matching set of the newer-type knob, I'd be willing to do an exchange plus a little cash for your 2 old-style concentrics.  I have a pair that would match your new knob, plus maybe a little extra for the trouble.  I rarely come across these and would need for parts some day in the future.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

Offline billulsund

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2008, 01:27:25 PM »
Mark II - If you look at the above picture of the original volume knob on the sparkle top rhodes you can see that they put concentric knobs on the non-concentric volume pot to match the other knobs. I was hoping the volume knob would match a little better, but it still looks good.

Bjammerz - I appreciate your offer, but I would prefer to try and find an original volume knob that matches the other ones instead (I know that will not be easy). If I every give up my quest and decide to replace them all with new knobs I will let you know.

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2008, 01:43:28 PM »
Mark II - If you look at the above picture of the original volume knob on the sparkle top rhodes you can see that they put concentric knobs on the non-concentric volume pot to match the other knobs. I was hoping the volume knob would match a little better, but it still looks good.

true, thanks for  letting me know.

Mark II

Offline ctenophonic

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »
Well because they're right next to the poweramp on the player's side, I'm assuming it's some kind of effects loop for the cabinet, or additional inputs or outputs.  Probably has nothing to do with the actual piano part, maybe when they used speaker cabinet by itself with other things.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk35/ctenophonic/inside_theMachine.jpg

this one is very big

I opened 'er up and took this picture of the panel and the amp. the panel has wired each channel from the headphone jack (which is very hard to see, but if you look close at the photo it is) into two 1/4" mono jacks... presumably for outputs?? but wouldn't the Ωs on the headphones be incompatible with speakers? also, it's wired up with fuses for each channel (which are blown, which explains why nothing works when plugged in) which may give them power right from the amplifier, which kinda would scare me from plugging speakers into them...

If that's the case (they're used for external speakers only) I may just take it out or at least disconnect the wiring.

what do you all think?

Offline Rob A

• Global Moderator
  • Mark V
  • Modal Globerator
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes buyer's guide
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »
Likeliest is that they are just in parallel with the speakers, and facilitate connecting external speakers (like floor wedges or whatever). See if you can trace the wires back to speakers.

Offline ctenophonic

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2008, 03:44:59 PM »
Quote from: "Rob A"
Likeliest is that they are just in parallel with the speakers, and facilitate connecting external speakers (like floor wedges or whatever). See if you can trace the wires back to speakers.

actually... I don't have any speakers in the cab... not even any stray wires that might have been connected  :oops: maybe this is just a replacement setup for speakers??? problem is, i don't think any of the speakers lying around here will match the Ω rating or wattage... All i ave it my Ampeg 4x10, and an older randall which has TRS jacks for the speakers but probably can't handle 100 solid state watts.. i dunno. nope- each is 35 watt rated at 8Ω well.. will it totally kill the speakers even if i do it at a very low volume and just test it real quick to see if that's what it is?

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »
It's possible they wanted to wire up 2 speakers to increase the tremolo effect?  You just never know with the doctored mods.  It wouldn't make sense to wire mono channels of left and right unless you're trying to separate the signal into 2 separate cabinets.  I know people have incorrectly gone direct into a mixer with a stereo cable out of the headphone jack.

Regardless, yes I'm sure they serve no purpose at this point.  As long as it appears your input/output jacks on the power amp are still wired up, I'd remove the wiring.  

Does your cabinet play at all or are the master fuses blown inside?
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

Offline ctenophonic

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2008, 04:07:13 PM »
It's possible they wanted to wire up 2 speakers to increase the tremolo effect?  You just never know with the doctored mods.  It wouldn't make sense to wire mono channels of left and right unless you're trying to separate the signal into 2 separate cabinets.  I know people have incorrectly gone direct into a mixer with a stereo cable out of the headphone jack.

Regardless, yes I'm sure they serve no purpose at this point.  As long as it appears your input/output jacks on the power amp are still wired up, I'd remove the wiring.  

Does your cabinet play at all or are the master fuses blown inside?

Thanks- I probably will remove that once I get new speakers for the cab.

No fuses on the amp itself blown- everything works and sounds beautifully! I had some static before but it was just the instrument cable it came with, so replacing that it sounds great now-

i don't remember this recording might have static... i did it the day after I got it back home.  http://www.savefile.com/files/1630096

I'm plugged into a KC-550 via the preamp outs on the cabinet amp.

Offline Rhodester

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 04, 2008, 05:17:45 AM »
Quote from: "tjjazzpiano"
You people and your B-3's... I'm so envious :-(

grrrrrrrrr
1`

Im envious too...  although Ive got an Aruora Century, with drawbars and a built in leslie...

rhodes is still in process of acqusition...
Roland HP400 {piece of crap}

Offline vintagekeys1

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 11, 2008, 10:48:07 PM »
MAN Great pics, I sold both of mine years ago but hey for old time sake.....  Here goes, looking to get another one this month.

[/img]

[/img]
Studio:
Apple IMAC 24" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo; M-Audio Project Mix I/O; Alesis Masterlink; AKAI MPC 2KXL; EMU Planet Earth; Yamaha S90es; Kurzweil Mark 5 piano, PC88 & PC2R; Korg M3 73, Radias, Triton rk w/ PCM 3/4 & TR rk; Hammond B3 w/ 22H leslie; 1979 RHODES MARK I SUITCASE 73[/i]; Mackie CFX20 MKII mixer; Roland Fantom X7 w/ SRX-7/12, SH201, XV5050 & XV5080 w/ SRX-3/9 & SR-JV80-11/12/15/19, KC500 & KCW1 amp, DS-50 & 90 monitors

Gigs:
Korg Triton Extreme & Roland FP4, Sonic Cell & KC300 amp

Offline vintagekeys1

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »
Quote from: "blackbird67"
Hi I thought I'd post mine. I have a Mark 1 73 Stage Rhodes. This was like 5 years in the making. Actually I fixed it around 2002.

I re-did the tolex to a the blonde color. And the harp cover..well that's a long story. I tried to do the sparkle top but it wasn't working. The top gloss coat was peeling off so I tried to redo the sparkle but it started looking like crap. Then I decided to just get some thin "furry" fabric, slap it on the cover and call it a day. And I must say I am happy with it.

I got this for about $400 but it is missing the push rod, sustain pedal, the crossbar and the case cover (which I'll get all later well except for the case cover). But everything works after a lot of cleaning and fixing the tines and pickups. I just need to solder one wire back on.  

hmm needs a cleaning there. lol

WOW Lovely you should share these for your vote of HOTTEST Looking Rhodes Thread
Studio:
Apple IMAC 24" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo; M-Audio Project Mix I/O; Alesis Masterlink; AKAI MPC 2KXL; EMU Planet Earth; Yamaha S90es; Kurzweil Mark 5 piano, PC88 & PC2R; Korg M3 73, Radias, Triton rk w/ PCM 3/4 & TR rk; Hammond B3 w/ 22H leslie; 1979 RHODES MARK I SUITCASE 73[/i]; Mackie CFX20 MKII mixer; Roland Fantom X7 w/ SRX-7/12, SH201, XV5050 & XV5080 w/ SRX-3/9 & SR-JV80-11/12/15/19, KC500 & KCW1 amp, DS-50 & 90 monitors

Gigs:

Offline vintagekeys1

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2008, 10:59:10 PM »
Quote from: "Carol Rhodes-Rice"
Ok here's my Rhodes stuff:

My baseball jacket:

My poster:

Carol

Where o where did you get that poster.....
Studio:

Gigs:

Offline MikeMalone

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2008, 08:22:29 AM »
I couldnt say EXACTLY where she got it, but I'm guessing it had something to do with the fact that her dad is Harold Rhodes!!
1976 Rhodes Suitcase 73
1966 Fender BandMaster Blackface
1955 Hammond M3
1966 Wurlitzer 140B
Yamaha Motif 6
Nord Lead 3
Casio CDP-100 (pretty good Rhodes sound!)

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2008, 10:21:33 AM »
Quote from: "MikeMalone"
I couldnt say EXACTLY where she got it, but I'm guessing it had something to do with the fact that her dad is Harold Rhodes!!

good call  :D

Mark II

Offline vintagekeys1

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »
Wow and heir to the family,  I would love to have that poster in my studio........  Maybe its one of a kind or last of its kind, most folks around that era probably threw that stuff out.....
Studio:

Gigs:

Offline Quatschmacher

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
YES YES YEEEEEEESSSSS!
« Reply #206 on: July 14, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »
http://picasaweb.google.com/quatschmacher/RhodesMarkIIStage73

Well, hopefully the image upload works.

I just took delivery of this 1980 Mark II Stage 73 today :D

I've been looking for one for about 3-4 years now.

One came up last week, a 1979 Mark I stage 73, which had been in the owner's house from new. I had arranged to buy that after a lengthy talk with the owner who assured me of its great condition. Then my friend, who was going to give me a lift to pick it up, she crashed her car so I couldn't. Whilst trying to rearrange the pickup, the owner fianlly got round to sending me the pictures. It wasn't as good as he made out, so I backed out on Saturday.

On Sunday  I received a reply from one of my wanted ads from guy who has 1977 Mark I Stage 88. It didn't have the lid, pedal rod or brace knob, but I made him an offer. He said it was fine but was waiting for a couple of other offers coming back.

Then last night I was checking ebay (as I have been doing nearly every day for the last few years) and saw a 1980 Stage 73 listed. The seller was listing it for a friend whose numbers were listed in the ad. I rang the guy straight away and asked him about the condition etc. He said he only wanted £400 for it and said he could drop it off. I thought about it for about ten minutes and then rang him back to tell him I'd take it sight unseen (aside from a couple of photos in the listing).

24 hours later it's in my lounge! I'm sooo pleased. I was hoping for an early Mark I but at this price I'm not grumbling; I've been keeping records of sales for the last few years and this is the best (UK) bargain I've seen. It does need a bit of attention (a couple of pickups have a lower output and a hammer tip needs replacing) but on the whole it's great. I should hopefully be able to afford to get it serviced properly soon.

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2008, 10:58:11 PM »
Since Picasa isn't being friendly about embedding these photos on other sites, I'll host them here for you instead:

Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2008, 02:23:08 AM »
sweet, looks really clean. And for 400 GBP = 501 Euros it is for sure a nice bargain.

congrats, quatschmacher, so your quest finally ended.

kind regads

Mark II

Offline Quatschmacher

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2008, 04:04:34 AM »
Thanks for hosting the pics, James - I appreciate it.

congrats, quatschmacher, so your quest finally ended.

Well, as one journey ends, so begins another, as they say; I'll need to get it put into proper playing shape. Then I'll need get me into proper playing shape too. :) At least I can spend loads less time on the internet now!