Author Topic: Post your Rhodes pics and its story  (Read 370358 times)

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Rhodes pics and its story
« Reply #510 on: March 13, 2019, 09:21:39 PM »
Welcome to the group. 
I've always liked the way that type of harp cover looks on the MK I pianos.
Nice to see Malcom again.
Ray

Offline TimeAndTineAgain

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 06, 2020, 06:37:10 AM »
Hey guys. Guess I'll hop in. Here it is

Offline ummagumma

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 14, 2020, 12:59:48 AM »

great pics!!

and nice keyboards

how do you find that Echolette? a tech told me to stay away from the due to parts rarity & maintenance issues, but I always dug the look of them

never had a chance to try one out though

Offline Pbean

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 23, 2020, 06:57:08 PM »
Rhodes Kill is what happens when you run over an alligator with your Rhodes.
Bought this MKII in unplayable condition. Rebuilt from the ground up.
New Key tops and key bushings. New grommets hammers dampers and pedestal felt. Tolex hardware and painted a sparkle top lid.
Added preamp and that made a big difference. Fun to play.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OePwvpSPgVTQpkn_7IytsxU9gpTZS6gL/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16BNsqy1tHZGrY1t05R4j2BzCvE4o1tkV/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18VbJNHhKVdVDZuK9GHTU3UHavouWIXUe/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 12:02:40 PM by Pbean »

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 23, 2020, 07:37:51 PM »
That piano looks clean!
Nicely done.

Offline sage

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 04, 2020, 02:20:11 PM »
Hi, Thanks for having me! My first Mark V story: About 10 years ago bought a Mark 1 from Wheaton College in Mass. for 300. Got it home, didn't love it--sluggish action, dull, lifeless tone, just like my suitcase 88 from years before that I got rid of for said reasons. Sold the Mark 1 in  less than an hour for 400. Went back to Wheaton to try another one---a "damaged" Mark 5 for 350. The only damage was that the shell had popped of, which took all of one minute to re-secure it. I've been in love ever since!

Offline Nelson 54

• Pre-Piano
  • Keyboards, Guitar, Pedal and Lap/Non-Pedal Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 22, 2021, 05:54:31 PM »
Hi - New to the EP-Forum. First time Rhodes owner (I had a Wurly years ago) and I gig with a digital piano and vintage Korg clonewheels (1981 BX-3 and CX-3). I found a Rhodes 54 on Guitar Center's vintage online site. Posted for under one hour, and I was one of 5 buyers in line (I was #2 and the first buyer fell through!). $1699 and $40 to freight it 1,100 miles!   Just got it this week and it's amazing.  Appears to have been restored some years back by "ursomyrhodes" (who has posted on this Forum).  Probably retolexed with new repro hardware, but in beautiful shape-no rips.  Inside it's minty fresh - all shiny, with red coil pickups now wired in parallel groups (probably restoration) and no rust or corrosion whatsoever on the tines, tone bars or other internal hardware, and a switchcraft 1/4" jack replacing the RCA connecction.   Plays like a dream - nice accelerated action - feels and sounds great, pretty much arrived in tune, and with good balanced output.  A couple of small issues - one latch is broken (new pair on the way) and the tone slider may not be working (need to check out further -- easy fix). I know these are hard to find in any shape and the GC staff vouched for the nice condition, but this is better than I expected.  Super happy to have it ... and to join the Rhodes club!
1980 Rhodes 54
1981 Korg BX-3
1981 Korg CX-3
2020 Casio Privia PX-S3000
1965 Fender Vibrolux Reverb
1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb
1969 Fender Deluxe Reverb (SF)
1966 Fender Princeton Reverb
1960 Maestro (Gibson) GA-2RT
1960 Bell (Maestro/Gibson) BA-15R
Motion Sound KP-500SN
Motion Sound KBR-M
Speakeasy Vintage Music - Tube Preamp (for Motion Sound/Clonewheel)
Neo Ventilator (original version)

Offline Solomon

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 30, 2021, 08:07:47 PM »
For many years I've been feeling a low-level but constant desire to get a Rhodes, and this month I finally took the plunge! It's a 1978 mark 1 Stage 73. I don't have any previous experience with actual electric pianos (though I've played lots of Rhodes patches on digital keyboards), so I have no basis of comparison but I think it sounds pretty great!

Check it out, here's my very first recording with it: https://youtu.be/Rns1GSf7MJ8