Author Topic: Post your Rhodes pics and its story  (Read 363089 times)

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
My New Friend
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2006, 05:10:18 PM »
Now that I finally have things setup at my new place, I thought I'd make my contribution here...this is my studio:

My new friend is a 1975 Rhodes Stage 73.  I gigged with a bassist a couple of weeks ago who described his axe as a FrankenFender, which seems to be a good description of this piano.  I have no idea how many of the parts are original, how many are transitional, how many are new/old stock.  What I do know is that the pickup rail is from early '75, the serial number sticker on the harp says "Rhodes" and reads 41333 (no FR or K in front), and the hammers are half-wood/half-plastic.  Here's a closer look inside:

The big score here is that the tonebars have been nickel plated, and the pickup rail was rebuilt by Major Key (John's signature is on it and everything).  Taking a closer look has revealed a few more interesting things.  Tonebar #5 is just plain missing, even though the screws, springs & grommets are still there.  Tonebar #8 is actually marked as both #15 and B, obviously from an era where the 88-key Rhodes had been introduced.  A few of the tines have a silver-colored generator, while most of the others have an aged gold-ish look.  The damper felts and hammer tips look like they were replaced fairly recently, but a handful of the felts in the upper range have drooped over and aren't doing their job anymore.  I guess another round of replacements is in order there.

Probably the strangest thing I've found is that two keys (#4 and #69, both white) are newer in color compared to the others, both inside and out.  More replacement work, obviously.  What's really interesting is that these newer keys are a different size from the original ones??!?!!!  Even though they look about the same on the inside and there are no differences in the action, the top of the key is 2 mm longer than the others, causing them to stick out in an unnatural way.  I'm trying to track down a couple of replacements from '75 to see if they're the right size, but what the hell, maybe the keys aren't even from '75 in the first place....

As far as mods go, I have a Speakeasy flat-top that I used with my Suitcase, a new leg set and a tube preamp on order, and I might add the MKHC to the list.  But I'll definitely be getting a lot of stuff from Vintage Vibe...the action on this piano is so nasty that I won't be able to play it without the Miracle Mod!!!
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
Post your Rhodes pics and its story
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2006, 05:32:12 PM »
nice one. be honest and admit that you put the tai-chi-magazine on the music stand just for the pictures to be taken.

Got you :twisted:
Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2006, 02:07:27 AM »
Either the keys or the keycaps have been replaced, these 2 are later model keys, from the all plastic hammer vintage , late 70s.  It would seem that the keys from maybe late 74 and 75 are unique, I've always noticed a difference - the keys from this era are flat on top, and the "stubs" that are the vertical side that faces you (whatever they're called) are always yellowed in appearance.  Take this picture for example.

Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline Tehu

• Mark I
  • Player of fine keyboard instrument
    • View Profile
    • Dézuets d'Plingrés
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2006, 10:26:30 AM »
Here's my new Setup :

Showing : Rhodes Mark 1 73 (1980?), Hammond m3 Organ (1959) and a yamaha CS-40m

New acqusition : Hohner PIanet T

A Leslie 825 + Cmbo préamp II
Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 88 1977, Wurlitzer 200a, Columbia Elepian 713, Yamaha CP60M, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg MS20mini, Arturia Minibrute, Sequential Prophet 2002, Akai MPC2500, NI Maschine MKI&MK2, Ibanez UE-405

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2006, 02:05:51 PM »
lookin good!
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

Offline kitchen

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2006, 04:01:17 PM »
Yeah!!  Lookin' real good.
How's your relation with the neighbours ?  :wink:

Kitchen
'76 Mk I Stage 73 -> 70's Small Stone

Offline picassoface

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2007, 11:16:11 PM »

I love The Red Lady more than anything in the world.  I got her off ebay a couple of years ago from a guy in Long Island who had not idea what the value of this completely cherry '79 Stage 88 was.  450 bucks.

I did the red tolex myself last summer.  I haven't really had to replace anything.  The grommets could probably use a swapout.  I adusted the strike line and tuned and voiced it and soldered the cable off the harp straight to the output, bypassing the pots.

I gig a lot, usually 3 or 4 times a week and I'm on the road a lot.  I've never had an instrument that feels like a friend before and I feel at home when I'm behind her on stage.

I'm like the rest of you guys.  I'm happiest with the harp cover off and some tools near by, just tweaking by the hour.

Long live The Red Lady.

Offline picassoface

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
I forgot- I put all the black hardware on.  It's slowly turning silver from the road.

Offline soukouss

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2007, 08:35:28 AM »
Hello guys

Have you ever heard talking about a TOO LOUD harp rca output which makes the preamp distording when playing very strong?
It's what happend to my Rhodes, with two different preamps.

So my technician puts an electric resistance into the preamp, to lower the input signal about 3 or 4 dB. Now it works fine.

The Rhodes is a Stage 73 Mark 1, first week of 1977, with the exclusive namerail upgrade. I got it with two Super Satellite cabinets.
It has been customized by the same technician to be used less the cabinets. Now it has an onboard AC power on the back and two jack outputs next to the "accessory".

It has a great sound, very very closed mics' setting. I finished tuning it myself.
Here is some pics. Sorry for the bad quality.

Offline EightyEight

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2007, 11:18:23 AM »
Bad quality? They're just right ;)

Where are all those imputs ont the front-left used for?
1974 Mark I Stage 88

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2007, 01:53:37 PM »
Quote from: "soukouss"
Now it has an onboard AC power on the back and two jack outputs next to the "accessory".

As you see, these 2 jacks on the far left are the output jacks.
than the fx loops (=accessory)

Mark II

Offline Spookyman

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2007, 07:55:24 AM »
A picture from my actual live set-up :

Fender Rhodes Stage 1971
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 1973

Offline soukouss

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »
Nice gear Spooky !

What is your rhodes's history ? Some  electronical or mechanic tweaking ?
Do you use the MS20's filters with the Rhodes ?
What kind of music do you play with that set up ?

Offline Spookyman

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2007, 01:52:21 AM »
My Rhodes History ?

I bought it there is 17 years ago, for 80 frs (60$) from my cousin. The Rhodes itself was not in so good conditions, cosmeticaly. So i paint it blue and orange there is a couple of years.

Last year, i gave all the internal mechanic to a Rhodes Tech in switzerland. He changed some tines, pickups, made a total revision.

And i made the case and paint job. So it changed from light blue/orange to royal blue/gold sparkle.

In January i also aded a VintagVibe Preamp. It's not the definitive model, with the original serigraphie. It's a sort of pre-serie Preamp.

Yes, the Rhodes is sometimes going thru the cuting edge filters of the MS-20.  I have an effect slope in the Rhodes Preamp, so i can include the MS-20 without problem.

The kind of music ? Funk, soul.
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

Offline soukouss

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2007, 07:09:35 AM »
hmm it sounds good ! thanks for your response.
I'd like to see his royal blue - gold sparkle colors...
Peace
S.

Offline toddague

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
My Rhodes (and the rest of the Studio rig)
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »
You can see my 1976 Rhodes Mark 1 Stage (aka the "babied studio Rhodes") to the left in this shot:

These days, a new Nord Electro II 73 sits on top of it.  I bought that Rhodes off EBay from its original owner.  Only a few scratches on the tolex, but other than that -- mint condition.  I installed new grommets, thoroughly cleaned out the insides and polished everything up -- then tuned and voiced it.  On top of that, I bought a Rhodes tune-up kit from a music store owner friend that had it laying around, and found Rhodes-issued modification/mounts for the upper 12 or so tonebars.  No springs needed!  I installed these, and get a bit more sustain in the upper registers now.  Typically, I run this Rhodes through a Speakeasy Vintage Suitcase Vibrato pedal, and/or a Speakeasy Vintage dual channel tube preamp to beef up the sound.  Overall, the Rhodes sounds great!

I have another Rhodes (a 1978 Mark 1 not shown here - aka the "Road Rhodes") that is a bit beat up on the outside, but sounds great for live, since it, too, has new grommets and has been revoiced, tuned and had escapement updated to move the tine ends closer to the pickups to give it more bark.
Rhodes 1976 and 1978 Mark 1 Stage 73s, Speakeasy Vintage and BBE Preamps, Bose LP1 and MotionSound amps

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2007, 12:09:24 PM »
great setup!
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

Offline BJT3

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2007, 02:37:20 PM »
Yeah, nice. Interesting about that upper note mod kit too. Would you mind posting some pics? Cool, so when ya' gettin' the Clav and Moog? Lol... :)
1978 Mark I Stage Piano 88
1970 Wurlitzer 200
Hohner D6 Clavinet
1961 Hammond A100 Organ
1977 Fender Twin Reverb (Blackfaced)

Offline Spookyman

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2007, 02:30:37 AM »
B3, ok...but in stereo ! ! !  :shock:

That's amazing. Is it a 122 and a 145 ? I can immagine the sound...wow !

Yes, i agree bjammerz : Great Setup.
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

Offline kapheaus

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile

Offline toddague

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »
Re: B3, ok...but in stereo ! ! !  That's amazing. Is it a 122 and a 145 ? I can immagine the sound...wow !

Actually -- the leslies are a 147 and a 45, which I modified to a 2 speed (so it's basically the same as the 2 speed Leslie-issued 145).  A 145 is like a 147 -- same amp and speakers, but in a 7" shorter cabinet, so a bit less low-end tone.  I use the 145 for live work sometimes, but the 147 stays at home.   This setup does create quite the "stereo doppler effect" -- especially when recording and panning each leslie's horn and lower rotor at 9 and 3...

I'll get a few shots of the upper tine/grommet assembly out here as soon as I can.  No one seemed to know about this Rhodes-issued modification when I first acquired the kit and asked around about it...
Rhodes 1976 and 1978 Mark 1 Stage 73s, Speakeasy Vintage and BBE Preamps, Bose LP1 and MotionSound amps

Offline O.Lahoz

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: My Rhodes (and the rest of the Studio rig)
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2007, 05:13:25 PM »
Quote from: "toddague"
I bought a Rhodes tune-up kit from a music store owner friend that had it laying around, and found Rhodes-issued modification/mounts for the upper 12 or so tonebars.  No springs needed!  I installed these, and get a bit more sustain in the upper registers now.

Probably it is the "rubber-standoff", a Mark V factory improvement for the higher tonebars.
I didn't know that this kit was in sale :shock:

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/service/rubber-standoffs.php
O. Lahoz
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1979 Rhodes Suitcase 73 Mark I  / 1979 Rhodes Stage 73 Mark I -->TC Electronic G-Force

Offline toddague

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »
"Probably it is the "rubber-standoff", a Mark V factory improvement for the higher tonebars.
I didn't know that this kit was in sale"  :shock:  

Yes -- you're correct, O.Lahoz!   That's what I bought and installed.  I didn't realize these were for the Mark V, but that makes sense, timing-wise (the package/accompanying memo had a date stamp on them of 1984.

Anyway...I agree with the content found via the link you sent.  The higher-key rubber standoffs sound better and have improved sustain, but the difference is not hugely significant...

Offline tjjazzpiano

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2007, 11:55:34 PM »
You people and your B-3's... I'm so envious :-(

grrrrrrrrr
myspace.com/geetay
78' Fender Rhodes Mark I
80' Rhodes Mark II Suitcase

Offline Spookyman

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2007, 04:23:52 AM »
Quote from: "soukouss"
hmm it sounds good ! thanks for your response.
I'd like to see his royal blue - gold sparkle colors...
Peace
S.

Here you can see a little bit the colour in the day light :

Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

Offline jim

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/cyberjimpatterson
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2007, 06:25:12 AM »
bloody guitarist setting his guitar case down right where it's gonna mess with your sustain pedal!

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2007, 07:38:53 AM »
Quote from: "jim"
bloody guitarist setting his guitar case down right where it's gonna mess with your sustain pedal!

Never mind, jim.
spooky should be glad that he doesnt lay his crappy guitar on top of this awesome gold sparkle finished harp cover.

"Do it, man and I will stab you to death with my sustan pedal rod." :twisted:

Mark II

Offline Spookyman

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2007, 08:15:14 AM »
Quote from: "Mark II"

Never mind, jim.
spooky should be glad that he doesnt lay his crappy guitar on top of this awesome gold sparkle finished harp cover.

Mark II

You're absolutely right. It's a really crappy guitar...An Epiphone for 450 Euros. But i wouldn't stab it to death...the cover is allready scratched. Nothing serious, but it's allmost impossible to keep a Stage Piano in pristine conditions when i take it to gigs every months...I assume it, and in 2 or 3 years, i make a renovation of the case and top.  :wink:
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2007, 12:10:05 PM »
Quote from: "Spookyman"
Quote from: "Mark II"

Never mind, jim.

Mark II

You're absolutely right. It's a really crappy guitar...An Epiphone for 450 Euros. But i wouldn't stab it to death...the cover is allready scratched. Nothing serious, but it's allmost impossible to keep a Stage Piano in pristine conditions when i take it to gigs every months...I assume it, and in 2 or 3 years, i make a renovation of the case and top.  :wink:

stab the gituar player, not the guitar.

Mark II

Offline peteblues

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2007, 12:27:24 PM »
Here is mine:

Got it last Friday. Sounds and plays like a dream. I couldn't get away from it all weekend.