News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Found a Pianet N! I have many questions :)

Started by itsflantastic, October 22, 2023, 06:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsflantastic

Hi there -
I picked up a Pianet N yesterday.
The good?
- it's cosmetically awesome.
- it has the original tweed hardshell case (1 broken latch..)
- it has the legs and crossbar (though the cross bar is a little bent, but it still works)
- it has those good ken rich replacement sticky pads

I was able to order some new hardware, too. For future reference, the holes on the sides of the Pianet N take a metric M10 1.5 x 30mm Knob. The screws for the cross bar are M4 .7mm x 12mm thumb screws. I haven't figured out what to use to secure the lid that slides in and out, so if anyone knows that one please share!

the less good
- all notes work but the signal out was really, really quiet yesterday. today i'm getting no signal
- the buzz is very, very loud.
- missing pedal and original power cord.

I ordered the preamp upgrade kit from clavinet.com and hope recap/service on the preamp will fix all of my woes, but I also had a few questions.

The back of mine (pictured) looks different from other models I've seen.
  • It looks like there's a plug for a ground or some sort (⏚)? Thoughts?
  • Which out do I use 300mV, 300mV low impedence, or 100mV
  • Does anyone know a proper power cord replacement? I'm just using a 2 prong extension cord. Or I could replace with a 3 prong...

Aside from servicing the preamp, I'd love to know if anyone has had similar issues and how they fixed it.

Thank you!
Dan

itsflantastic

Turns out the owner had the original pedal. I went back and picked it up tonight and suddenly this thing came to life. I guess the pedal is the only way to control the volume so issue fixed. Still plan on doing a big preamp upgrade though.

Is it worth doing the shielding tape thing across the keys? Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
Dan

Alan Lenhoff

>>Which out do I use 300mV, 300mV low impedence, or 100mV>>

I use the 300mV (upper left-hand one) with my Peavey KB-100 amp, and it works quite well. But you could try them all, and see what works best for you.

Not sure what the ground plug is. I don't use it.

>>I'm just using a 2 prong extension cord. >>

The original is just a two-prong cord. 

>>Is it worth doing the shielding tape thing across the keys?>>

No. That process was invented by my friend (and Classic Keys co-author) David Robertson to ground the keys to eliminate the nasty static discharges caused when using the silicone replacement sticky pads sold by Clavinet.com.  The pads sold by Ken Rich are like the originals, and do not create a static discharge.  My Pianet N (with Ken Rich pads) plays without any of those stray noises or hum, without any added grounding of the keys or shielding. With the proper pads, the original design works just fine. The tape grounding also makes it very difficult to remove keys for cleaning or other maintenance.

Enjoy your new instrument!

Alan

Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Find it on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762/

1965 UK Vox Continental;1967 Gibson G101 organ; 1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; 1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73; 1972 Rhodes Sparkletop Piano Bass; 1978 Hohner Clavinet D6; 1968 Hohner Pianet N II; 1966 Wurlitzer 140B; 1980 Moog Minimoog Model D; 1983 Roland JX-3P; 1977 Fender Twin Reverb; 1983 Roland JX-3P synth; Vox AC30CC2X amp.
(See the collection: https://vintagerockkeyboards.com/ )