Author Topic: Help w/ CP-70m heavy stiff action  (Read 280 times)

Offline cp70mas

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Help w/ CP-70m heavy stiff action
« on: December 29, 2020, 12:45:17 PM »
I've had a CP-70m for about two years. It's an awesome instrument, and was in great shape when I got it. I don't know its history,  but it obviously was not toured or abused. Only a couple of marks on the tolex, face plate and keys looked new. As with most, it was missing the legs, pedal, and power cable, but those are all simply remedied with a functioning credit card  :P

I spent as much at vintagemusicparts.com as I did on the piano, but I also needed a pedal for my 140b. No complaints as the parts were beautiful and now this "project" is complete. I made the power plugs as the CP-70m needs two, one for the piano, another to power the MIDI. I ended up making four warts for the price of one retail. I'll post some pictures below. Midi is awesome on these, as the sustain pedal works the CP and any keyboard plugged into the MIDI port. I'm guessing why so many folks used the CP as a stand for their other keyboards.

When I got the piano the action was super stiff. This had obviously been in storage for a long time, and I was hopeful it would loosen up with time. But it hasn't. I've been planning the work for a while and have an awl and key bushing tool, PTFE powder, and Protek CLP. I've just been hesitant to add oils and powders cause I've heard they can also attract dust and make the situation worse. So I don't want to overdue anything.

On some level this is a standard grand piano action, so finding info on action work shouldn't be hard, but specific to the CP model has been hard. I'm going on some videos I've seen at Howardpianoindustries.com applying CLP and PTFE to the center pins and front rail pins, and this kid https://youtu.be/7HoWd_1flww?t=726 that applied PTFE to the Damper lifter felts, whippen assembly felts, Let off buttons, and Hammer butts.
Then put CLP on every center pin in the action and also the damper rods and felts.https://youtu.be/-G3pfPNyWdA?t=930

Again, I don't want to over do it and create more problems down the road. That's why I'm posting here. What order should I start this work? If you were trying to revive a piano action that's been mothballed. Again, the felts look great, keys are level, none stick, hammers and dampers look fresh, just the action is exhausting to play.
Thanks for you help,
Sam

Offline cp70mas

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: Help w/ CP-70m heavy stiff action
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 02:28:45 AM »
Adding images took more steps than anticipated.
I ended up Doing all the work. CLR on every pin but whippens, teflon powered on every felt but the pins. It's better, but still very heavy. When the harp is up, the action in great, as well as the upper keys with no dampers. Which leads me to believe the issue is in the damper mechanism.
More pictures here https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tv6eGDLDE9hLjygx9