Author Topic: Tolex question  (Read 226 times)

Offline square_wave

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Tolex question
« on: January 27, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »
Hi, I've attempted to search for answers to this question but haven't found anything. Apologies if I'm asking something that comes up a lot!

I have a fairly beat-up 1972 stage piano and I'm about to start re-Tolexing the case. (I only have the case bottom.) I'm currently in the process of removing the glue from the old Tolex. There are lots of gouges in the wood which I'll be filling (probably with Bondo wood filler) and then sanding nice and smooth before I apply the new Tolex. But first I'm planning to primer and re-paint the inside of the case black.

My question is: will the Tolex stick to where I paint, or do I need to be careful about where I paint so I leave bare wood for the Tolex glue? (I'm using the stuff VV sells.) And if the Tolex will apply to paint happily, is there any reason not to primer the whole thing? That will help protect the wood from future rot and help make a nice, smooth surface after sanding. But I obviously don't want to do that if it will create adhesion problems.

Thank you!

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
Re: Tolex question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »

Glue sticks to paint.

If you feel like painting the inside and outside, I think you will be fine.

Offline square_wave

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: Tolex question
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 11:51:41 PM »
OK great thanks.

I may not end up painting the outside but it's good to know I don't need to be too precise with where i get the paint.

Putting on the Tolex is the part of this restoration I'm least looking forward to. It seems like there are lots of ways to mess it up!