News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Yamaha CP-70 hammer/damper repair Q

Started by soul, February 04, 2021, 08:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soul

Hey all,

I recently acquired a CP70 in pretty good shape. I just got a power supply today, plugged it in, sounds great! Its relatively in tune, not too bad at all. But it has 2 keys where the damper falls down immediately, so they wont sustain with key held (just a quick muted tone). (I can upload a video if it helps)

How involved is it to repair this? Seems like there are only a few parts involved. I'd appreciate any advice on how to do it or where to buy parts (or both).

p.s. Im also ISO legs and pedal for decent price

thx,
Steve

soul

Looks like I found some legs and pedal. Could use some advice on fixing a couple of dampers that fall and mute the string immediately. Anyone have any insight how to repair/replace?

soul

Here's the F key with broken hammer. Any ideas on what I need to repair/replace? Everything else is pretty clean, got some legs under it today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdZwYRUvaz4&feature=youtu.be

soul

Seems the whole thing is flat.. I bought a tuning wrench on amazon and l got it plugged into Pro Tools with a chromatic tuner plugin. Gonna try and get it in line this week. Still looking for advice on the F damper that's clicking, I'll address it later. Looking forward to getting in tune and writing/recording on this baby

pianotuner steveo

The hammer and damper both appear to be working. It sounds like either loose screws or loose glue joint(s) on some part on that key. A loose hammer head or hammer flange screw are the first 2 things I would check. I do not see the damper falling down right away. It seems to be staying up.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

pianotuner steveo

Be careful tuning that! They are very difficult to tune and very easy to break strings. If you ever break a bass string do NOT throw it out. You will need the old one to have a duplicate made.

That piano is very inharmonic. The bass especially is difficult to tune! You need to tune bass notes FLATTER than you expect, don't make them sharp or they may break. $$$ to replace bass strings.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...