Author Topic: Making a stand for Rhodes Suitcase (with stage legs)  (Read 682 times)

Offline moorematt433

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Making a stand for Rhodes Suitcase (with stage legs)
« on: March 13, 2021, 11:59:01 PM »
Hi All! New forum member here. I just got my first Rhodes! It's Mark II 88 suitcase. Unfortunately, it didn't come with the original amp stand. I've checked out a few keyboard stands and none of them seem to have a large enough footprint for the piano (or at least I'm not convinced they do). So instead I want to make my own stand using Stage piano legs. Here's my idea...

I want to buy vintage vibe legs and flanges and mount them into a piece of 1'' plywood cut to match the footprint of the bottom of the Rhodes case. Essentially a table made with Stage piano legs.

I even want to round the corners and Tolex the plywood to match the case. I'm also thinking about drilling holes in the top of the "table" that line up with the small metal feet on the bottom of the suitcase. That way the keyboard could "lock in" to the table and not slide around.

It would look close to the original Stage piano look without altering my Suitcase piano!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems to me like it would make a stable stand and look nice to boot!

I do need to find a way to locate where I should put the leg flanges in the plywood board. I'd like to get them as close as I can to the locations on an original 88 key Stage. Does anyone have any ideas on going about that? Maybe pictures of your own stage piano's leg flanges for reference?

Let me know what you guys think!

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Making a stand for Rhodes Suitcase (with stage legs)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 09:49:53 AM »
The only comment I have is that I personally would just paint the plywood black. I think putting Tolex on it may be a waste of time and money. I've never owned an 88, so I can't help with the flange locations.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline sean

• Mark III EK-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »

Very cool idea.  Much more expensive than a keyboard stand.

VintageVibe wants $289 for legs and crossbars, $80 for four leg mounts, and $42 dollars for the crossbar mounting plate!  Ouch!

I believe that the leg mounts and leg brace mounting plate are separated by the exact same distances as they are on a 73-key piano - because the cross braces have to fit.  (I've got a two 73's downstars that I can measure for you - stay tuned.)  See the attached image (I love the distortion that makes the piano look curved).  The body of the 88 sticks out about 6.5" more on each side than it does on the a 73.

You will also need the suitcase adapter for the sustain pushrod - https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=4991.msg24625#msg24625

Years ago, I was in a similar situation - I have two legless Rhodes.  On the one that has leg mounts, I made cheapo legs using 3/4"-10TPI threaded rod without crossbars.  They look okay, with an industrial flavor.  Not living room quality, but fine for the basement.

The other Rhodes got a stand made from a drywall installer's platform, like https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-1-71-ft-x-1-ft-x-20-56-in-225-lbs-Aluminum-Work-Platform/999946108.  I removed the rubber feet, then extended the legs with oak 1x2, and re-installed the rubber feet on the wood extensions.  You need a piece of carpet or wood on the top to keep the platform from scratching up the underside of the Rhodes.  It is rock solid, very portable, and quick to set up.  This keyboard stand is definitely not living-room-appropriate.

Need a power supply for your new Rhodes?  See https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=9706 and https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=9657.0
Sustain pedal and rod?  See https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=9967
5-pin XLR cable?  See https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=9533

Sean
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 09:09:12 AM by sean »

Offline moorematt433

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 02:01:33 PM »
Thanks for the info and suggestions so far! I've already got a pedal and pushrod with a home-made machined metal adaptor. I DO need a way to power the preamp. I'll look at the links sent!

It's definitely an expensive project for a stand, but I really want to go through with it. Seems like I can center the cross brace plate and find the leg positions from there.

It looks to me that the BACK two leg flanges align perfectly (or almost perfectly) with the little metal feet on the Suitcase bottom. The front flange positions shouldn't be hard to find from there!

Stay Tuned!

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 05:50:08 AM »
I don't know how your carpentry skills are, but about 40 years ago, I bartered for a suitcase 73 w/no base. I built a box out of 1 x 12 shelving. I did tolex that, and I made front and back pieces out of plywood and covered them with speaker grill cloth. The pedal mounted onto the bottom, and I drilled a hole in the top for the pedal rod. I did have the original power supply for the preamp (but no amp)
I don't think that cost very much to build and it looked great!
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline sean

• Mark III EK-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 11:45:50 PM »
Steve's Idea of just making a dummy box to support the Rhodes would save a ton of money.

Anyway, here is where the leg mounts are on the bottom of my 1979 Mark I Stage 73.

I measured the locations of the sphinx glides on my 1983 Mark II suitcase top, but they seem to be in haphazard locations.  I can't believe they are correct.  Please tell us where the shpinx glides are on your suitcase top.

The pdf attached prints out better, and looks better if you zoom in on the drawing (you can see the LibreOffice pdf export error specks and also the Phillips screws).

Sean
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:48:00 PM by sean »

Offline sean

• Mark III EK-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 12:54:05 AM »

Oh, I should add that the hole in the bottom of my suitcase piano for the sustain rod may be in a different place than on the stage piano.  I got sick of the dust and spiderwebs in the basement, so I did not double check this.  However, I will soon.  I think the suitcase sustain rod hole is even closer to the back edge of the piano, and maybe a half inch closer to the right side of the piano.

Sean