Author Topic: Pedal  (Read 93 times)

Offline cece

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Pedal
« on: March 22, 2021, 10:34:19 AM »
Hello,

My Rhodes (MKII, wooden keys, 1980) has been repaired by a professional restorer when I bought it, and it has always been in good shape. I have a Twin Reverb Red Knob, a Crunch Master or a ME-25 Boss pedal for amplification. But the problems I report below stay the same with all of these amplification options.

I have never been happy with the sound really, and I am always playing around with eqing in order to find a good sound. . Don't know if it's the valves of the amplifier, or my ears, but my perception always change from day to day. And I am usually not happy.

Question 1: in particular, I find that one setting is good for "comping": I play a bass line with the left hand around the bottom two octaves, and chords with the right hand around the center of the keyboard. In this way it sounds absolutely gorgeous. Its really fantastic.  But if I start improvising, playing phrases on the upper octaves, then it sounds bad.
Or the opposite: good equing for higher octaves (less treble), but then when "comping" it sounds lacking life.
If I try settings in between, it does not sound great: actually it becomes not so nice in both departments.

Question 2: how does the pedal behave in a Rhodes? On my Rhodes if I keep it pressed for more than, say, half bar, the sound become kind of hollow, empty, thin. So I have to use the pedal with extreme care, because it strongly worsen the sound. Obviously I am not saying I would like to keep the pedal pressed as in a piano, maybe even over sevaral bars, but really I'd like to be able to keep it pressed for longer time. Is this how the Rhodes pedal work, or maybe there could be an issue on my Rhodes?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:41:45 AM by cece »
Rhodes MK II Seventy Three 1980
Fender Twin Red Knobs
Boss LE-25
Crunch Master
Electro Harmonix Small Stone re-issue