News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Cembalet N issues

Started by Peacefrog35, May 18, 2021, 07:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peacefrog35

I recently acquired a nice Hohner cembalet n. It sounds fantastic except for 1 thing. Several keys click or pop when depressed and released. You can hear it through the amp. Before I purchased it, all pluckers and damper delta were replaced.  It seems to something simple since its only some keys. It almost sounds like a static pop right into the pick up.
Any advice?
current gear:
1965 Fender Rhodes Gold Sparkle Piano Bass
1962 Fender Rhodes white top piano bass
1966 Fender Rhodessilver sparkle piano bass
1968 Gibson G101 organ
1966 Vox 301H wood key conitnental
1968 Vox 301E Continental
1967 RMI 300A Electra-piano and Harpsichord

theseacowexists

I've had luck with grounding all the copper damper holders with a long strip of copper tape.

Check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6613DKfF83E

I know this is a Pianet, but there is a brief moment in this video that shows how they grounded each of the key shafts with copper tape. Just apply the same principle to the damper holders, and make sure that the ends of the copper tape are grounded to a spot on the chassis.

There was still occasionally some of the noise that you described, and I finally silenced it by replacing all the felt dampers with homemade foam dampers. A soft, open cell foam will do the trick. Nothing too heavy.

Peacefrog35

Thank you!!! That is helpful. So does the copper tape go directly on the metal tab that holds the felt damper?  Should I buy the conductive type?Does the tape restrict movement of the key? Do you happen to have a photo of your cembalet showing this? Thanks!!
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

theseacowexists

This is how I ultimately ended up doing it. Ran a strip of tape all along the keyshafts, attached to the foil that lines the case at each end. There is enough slack between each key shaft to allow each key to move freely and not tear the tape. From there, there is a little strip that runs up from the screw that attached the plastic plucker holder to the keyshaft to the copper damper holder.

Found a short video of the last time I had it open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_cmAqDtWK0

The strip that runs along the keyshafts is kinda hidden, but you can sorta see it hiding behind the plastic keys.

Peacefrog35

That is just what I needed to see. Awesome!! Thank you so much. I assume the copper tape is the conductive type?
I wonder if I should do the foam damper too at the same time or just use what is already on it since the felts are new. If the copper tape does the trick alone.
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

theseacowexists

Yep, the copper tape has conductive adhesive!

If the tape helps, I would leave the felt dampers alone for now.

Peacefrog35

This is extremely helpful. Thank you. Ill be starting this tomorrow when my copper tape arrives. I'll advise of my results shortly thereafter.
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

Peacefrog35

I'm working on this now...grounded the key shafts but now working on the copper damper arms. Is it all or nothing on the damper arms? I've done the problem ones and so far haven't noticed a change.
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

theseacowexists

Ground every single one. On your problem ones, check that the gap between the reed and the pickup is clear of any debris. It could even be a stray fiber from the felt damper causing the issue, make sure there aren't any hanging off the damper.

Peacefrog35

Great. Thank you. I discovered some of the pop sounds were the plucker scraping the pick up so I carefully trimmed the edge of the plucker where it rubbed and helped a lot.
On another note, I'm impressed how much the 3 way toggle switch changes the tone on this thing.
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

theseacowexists

That tone switch is the secret weapon! It technically gives you six different tones - the 100mV and 300mV sockets each send out three different tones. I only came across this recently. I almost exclusively use the 300mV output, and didn't hear much variation in the tone switch positions, so I took it out to take a look at it. The filter board actually lives in the cheekblock where the switch is, and was shorting out against the copper foil tape I had lined the entire case with. Removing that gave me the three distinct tones on 300mV and three distinct tones on 100mV, the latter of which I didn't think worked at all before!

Interestingly, the filter board is labeled as "Cembalet & Pianet filter", but I've never seen a Pianet fitted with one of these!

Peacefrog35

You are so right. That switch gives some great sounds. I love it and your help got me here. Appreciate it!!! Once I got all the shafts and dampers grounded, it made a world of difference.
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

theseacowexists

You're welcome! Wait til you use it in stereo...send both outputs to two different effects chains and amps...ambient heaven.