News:

Don't forget to read the forum rules.

Main Menu

Maestro 612p Dead Reed

Started by MDolan2005, May 24, 2021, 09:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDolan2005

Hello Hive Mind,

I recently picked up a Maestro 612p that, while being in decent condition overall, has one dead reed. A4. No matter what I try and adjust, it just clangs when struck. What fundamental pitch it does have, right closer to a G4.

I've removed the reed and cleaned off what little corrosion there was. I've tried various degrees of tightness in the bolt that holds it. I've tried varying the bolts on either side (the Maestro has a plate that covers about 10 semi-tones in this octave and, in my experimentation I have discovered, adjoining bolt tightness can play a role in voicing the reed). The damper is not the issue, no or the hammer - as far as I can judge. The is maybe a mm of play north and south, that I've tried adjusting, all to no avail. It still just clangs. To my eyes, it is not making contact with either side of the pickup. 

I've searched around this forum and others trying to find tips on if dead reeds can be rescued, but have come up empty handed. 

Is there a way this can be fixed? Is this something that would require re-soldering/filing the pyramid? Can this reed be brought back?

Thanks for any assistance
Fender Rhodes MkII
Kawai EP 608
Wurlitzer 700

theseacowexists

Have you tried striking the reed with something like a plastic pen, instead of the hammer? Does that make a difference?

MDolan2005

Really good idea.  I just tried it and sadly, just got the same result. 

Here is a video of the issue.  https://youtu.be/eZ52iHuqOYQ.
Fender Rhodes MkII
Kawai EP 608
Wurlitzer 700

theseacowexists

Try rebuilding the solder pyramid. If that doesn't work, order a new Wurlitzer 200 reed. As far as I know, they're identical, but just to be sure, measure the reed and check with them before you order.

theseacowexists

This popped into my mind again for some reason. Did you figure anything out? Are you sure that the reed isn't touching the pickup, even just slightly? That could choke the reed. It does look awfully close in your video.

pianotuner steveo

To me, that sounds almost exactly like when a Wurli reed is crooked and shorting against the pickup.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...