Author Topic: First Wurli and First post  (Read 325 times)

Offline cgardnerma

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
First Wurli and First post
« on: June 01, 2021, 09:10:24 PM »
Hi folks,

I just picked up what I think is a 1973 or so 200. Horrible looking top that was spray painted silver and was scraped and flaking. Bunch of stuck keys, bent pot shafts (broke one trying to straighten it), flattened music rack, faceplate falling off and bent, noisy amp, horrible noises on certain keys, hole in one speaker. But the guts were PRISTINE. After a couple hours on YouTube/Google, I tore it apart and got to work over Memorial day weekend. Vacuumed it out. Eased a few hammers and key bushings. Spot lubed the action in places. Realigned a few reeds shorting out on the pickup. Tuned a couple obvious replacement reeds that had never been filed! Separated AC and signal wiring for noise improvement. Patched hole in speaker. And repainted the cover! It now looks, plays and sounds awesome. So satisfying! Here are a couple pics, and a link to a video of my son playing it after we got the playing sorted out but before the paint!

I also have a few of questions for the experts here:

- I have two keys that double strike if I really lay into it. Is that an issue with let-off or something else typically?
- Pots/knobs are off center, if faceplate is centered. I need a vote on whether I should center the pots in the hole or center the faceplate on the lid! Hehe.
- What's the thinking on the reed clamp/block things on 12 or so of the upper reeds? Delete and retune or leave them? A few of those reeds definitely don't sustain well at all as configured.
- The 200 amp has had a couple caps swapped, but is otherwise stock. This will be used in the studio and I may want swap the amp for a quieter one at some point. Any preference between the Retrolinear and VV replacement amps? Or should I go for a rebuild/hiss kit from VV? It's honestly not as bad as I expected overall and lots of great records made on noisy Wurlis!

https://youtu.be/GLUzhQtH7H8

Thanks in advance!

Chris

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:13:07 PM by cgardnerma »

Offline Alan Lenhoff

• Vendor
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: First Wurli and First post
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 07:50:54 AM »
I'll address the replacement amp question:  I've played a piano with the Retrolinear amp. It is amazingly quiet and sounds great. You can see a demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mo0vHV7io The Retrolinear amp is a whole new, modern design created by Tim Warneck, who has two electrical engineering degrees, and worked on this with Ken Rich, the LA tech, to get the tone just right. They make very high-quality products.

I have never played a piano with the Vintage Vibe amp, but I know that others speak highly of it, too.

Alan

Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/

1965 UK Vox Continental;1967 Gibson G101 organ; 1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; 1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73; 1972 Rhodes Sparkletop Piano Bass; 1978 Hohner Clavinet D6; 1968 Hohner Pianet N II; 1966 Wurlitzer 140B; 1980 Moog Minimoog Model D; 1983 Roland JX-3P; 1977 Fender Twin Reverb; Vox AC30CC2X amp.
(See the collection: https://vintagerockkeyboards.com/ )

Offline cgardnerma

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 11:04:00 AM »
Thanks, Alan! Helpful perspective!

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 01:37:19 PM »
Double striking can be a letoff issue, yes. I mailed your tool today!  ;)
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline cgardnerma

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 02:22:41 PM »
Hah! Awesome.

Offline cinnanon

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 09:27:36 AM »
Double striking can be a letoff issue, yes.

I never realized this. Would letoff being too close or too far cause this?

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 12:45:54 PM »
Usually, letoff too close causes the hammer to block against the reed, and also increases the chance of reed breakage.

If a hammer lets off too early, you have to hit the key harder which can cause the hammer to double strike or " bobble" . Most unserviced Wurlitzers that I have encountered over the years are letting off too early.

You also need to check key dip to be sure nothing is impeding the key travel. (Compare to a properly working neighboring key) Extremely shallow dip can cause double striking as well, extreme dip can cause hammer blocking.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...