News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

**Community Project** Wurlitzer 145 Rebuild **Community Project**

Started by christine1117, October 01, 2021, 01:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christine1117

This is going to be an on-going project for me, and you, if you wish to contribute your comments and suggestions.

The goal is to take an old 145 that has been in my basement for 35+ years and make it a presentable viable instrument. We will be taking it one section at a time. I'd love all of you to be involved in the project, or just to follow along. More details will be here tomorrow. (Once I figure out what the hell I'm going to say) LOL!

Until then,
Best, Christine.
Keyboards are my middle name...
Wurlitzer 145 Piano
Hammond RT-3 Organ
Hammond A-100 Organ
Hammond M-3 Organ
EML Electrocomp 101 synth
Minimoog S/N 1338 synth
Memorymoog synth
Memorymoog+ synth
VOX Continental (Italian) Organ
VOX Continental (American) Organ
1995 Fender Stratocaster (American)
Glock G44 Firearm.

pianotuner steveo

As far as the broken white keytops go, you should see if anyone on here has any original replacements. Generics won't be a perfect size match, and replacing the all is a pain if you have never done it before. Generics will be larger and a lot of sanding and filing would be required. Unfortunately, I have sold all of my originals.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

christine1117

Quote from: pianotuner steveo on October 03, 2021, 11:09:56 AM
As far as the broken white keytops go, you should see if anyone on here has any original replacements. Generics won't be a perfect size match, and replacing the all is a pain if you have never done it before. Generics will be larger and a lot of sanding and filing would be required. Unfortunately, I have sold all of my originals.

No problem. We did a lot of key cover replacements in the family business, but I'm lazy and will probably just let someone else do it. Also looks my tool box is all set although it's a mess. thanks for the help.
Wurlitzer 145 Piano
Hammond RT-3 Organ
Hammond A-100 Organ
Hammond M-3 Organ
Minimoog S/N 1338 synth
Memorymoog synth
Memorymoog+ synth
Glock G44 Firearm.

christine1117

Hi All,
After thinking it over, we probably need to take this in chunks. So I was thinking of something like this, not necessarily in any particular order.

Disassembly and inspection to uncover issues and prepare the cabinet for refinishing.

Amplifier refurb/upgrade

Action repair and regulation including tight/sloppy center pins, inspection of the front and balance rails key bushings etc. (The key covers are going to have to wait).

Case refinishing. (Anyone have any ideas)?

Reeds and voicing.

Reassembly and testing.

If I'm missing anything here please let me know. I'll be away for a week starting this Saturday, so we'll get the show on the road about the 19th.
I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions!

Wurlitzer 145 Piano
Hammond RT-3 Organ
Hammond A-100 Organ
Hammond M-3 Organ
Minimoog S/N 1338 synth
Memorymoog synth
Memorymoog+ synth
Glock G44 Firearm.

christine1117

Since the last time I was here, a bunch of parts arrived for the amplifier. So here's what I have in mind to improve the performance, and reduce noise and hum.  We are going to upgrade the power supply. Improve filtering, add voltage regulation and decoupling for the  triple triode, Reroute all the grounds to a single point, (just good wiring practice) Put regulated DC current for the triodes filiment, (maybe if needed) replace all the old capacitors. swap out 10% resistors in critical areas, swap out the controls, add a balanced line out, all new isolated ins and outs, and, last but not least, get rid of that crappy power socket and replace it with an IEC style plug/fuse/switch combination.

At least that's the wish list...

I'm away next week so we will start on the the week of the 19th. Stay tuned!
Wurlitzer 145 Piano
Hammond RT-3 Organ
Hammond A-100 Organ
Hammond M-3 Organ
Minimoog S/N 1338 synth
Memorymoog synth
Memorymoog+ synth
Glock G44 Firearm.

christine1117

Hi everyone! i'm back. Tomorrow, I'm going to map this amp rebuild thing out and take it from there. I think to start,we'll be taking some baseline measurements, checking voltages, looking for bad parts, and I'll put the amp on a scope so we can see what is happening electrically. Initially, I thought the noise floor and hum was above what I think is acceptable, and that will be a key part of improving things. (I hope). So, with that in mind I hope to have some observations and supporting pics tomorrow. See you then!
Wurlitzer 145 Piano
Hammond RT-3 Organ
Hammond A-100 Organ
Hammond M-3 Organ
Minimoog S/N 1338 synth
Memorymoog synth
Memorymoog+ synth
Glock G44 Firearm.

4kinga

Looking forward to seeing the progress.   I've been considering doing the same with my 145.  It's not as bad as yours, but needs some attention.  (It was painted baby blue, then poorly painted over with black.  The vibrato of the amp is not quite right.)

christine1117

Awesome! I'm a little behind on this project admittedly. Trying to get some things done before the snow flies. I have all the parts i'll need for the rebuild, and since there are no real problems, we'll be focusing on a refresh and improving performance. Also were going to add a balanced line out which is badly needed, improved power supply, star grounding and replacing the AC power receptacle/fuse/switch with a modern configuration. After that a full disassembly for a case rebuild/refinish, key covers, re-assembly and action regulation.
Wurlitzer 145 Piano
Hammond RT-3 Organ
Hammond A-100 Organ
Hammond M-3 Organ
Minimoog S/N 1338 synth
Memorymoog synth
Memorymoog+ synth
Glock G44 Firearm.

4kinga

Where'd you go?!!

I was really hoping to see the progress on your 145.

christine1117

I'm back! I had a detour for a while. Getting ready to move, and between that and the holidays, I had to put this project on hold for a while. Also, I'm in the middle of restoring a Hammond organ... But I have all the electronic and action parts I need to put this back in motion so I would expect to see some progress in the next week. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get some white plastic stock so I can recover the keys. I did find blanks but holy cow $$$! I have all kinds of tools so no prob doing them from scratch. I can't seem to find the stock which I would think is out there. Any info would be really helpful! Thank you, and I'll have some pics in the next couple of days!
Wurlitzer 145 Piano
Hammond RT-3 Organ
Hammond A-100 Organ
Hammond M-3 Organ
Minimoog S/N 1338 synth
Memorymoog synth
Memorymoog+ synth
Glock G44 Firearm.

pianotuner steveo

You want to buy preformed white keytops, but be prepared to sand the sides with a table top sander. These generic tops will be a little larger than Wurli keys. Glue them on with contact cement. Clean any drips with paint thinner.
They are not expensive. Try Vandaking or Howard piano (Howardpianoindustries.com) if you no longer have a Schaff account
Howard has better prices and I think more choices.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...