News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

DIY Rhodes Tolex Jig/helping hand solution

Started by Wags, January 07, 2022, 01:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wags

Hey all! Since I work mostly alone and have been doing more re-tolexing work, I came up with a very easy/effective solution to help applying the main tolex to the Keyboard base/lid that I thought I'd share!
Tolexing the sides I've found to be pretty easy, but suspending the case to apply the main center tolex I've found to be a bit troublesome without a helping hand to lift/position etc.

I came up with a simple solution of cutting 2 - 1x11x24 common boards, placing holes in them to match the location of the handles on the sides, then glue on some non-abrasive carpet and voila, you can attach these to either side of the case using some longer #10-32 screws and it will hold the case off the bench a few inches so any tolex doesn't get stuck where you don't want it or just creased/mangled in general.

As a bonus, if you buy the VV handles or hardware set, it comes with an extra set of extra long screws that work perfect! Boom!

Maybe y'all have a tasty system worked out on your end, but I was pumped when this worked like a charm for me :-)

Check out the pics in action!
'67 Sparkle Top
'74 Stage 88
'78 Suitcase 73
Wurly 200
Wurly 200a
Performer/Studio Owner/Collector