News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

200 regulation, Newbie here looking for advice

Started by citysoundman, October 06, 2022, 09:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citysoundman

Hi folks,
I've got a model 200 that I bought for my recording studio back in the late '90s. (I owned a one room studio on B'way and Bleecker in NYC). I think I bought it from another studio so it's overall in decent shape. Manufacture date is March 5, 1968 handwritten on lowest key (thanks to the How To Date thread!).

It's got some uneven tone and action, and one key that is sticky. Also a bad buzz in the amp, but I'm gonna hold off on asking about the amp for the moment.

I've been reading a lot of threads here and looking at Tropical Fish and VV for great info. I started by removing the amp rail, the keys, and felts for the front and balance pins so I can give the keybed a good cleaning. Everything looks pretty good. I have a few questions to help get me started:

Without the amp connected I can't hear the electronic output (obviously). Is regulation a process that is done as a mechanical adjustment only, without concern for the output? So it's fine not to worry about hearing the amplified signal? I do plan on looking at the reeds and making tonal adjustments...but should I separate the mechanical work from the tonal work?

There were some thin paper circles under some of the small white felts on the balance pins. After removing these I read on Tropical Fish to note where these 'shims' were since they help to balance the keys. Of course I pulled them without making a note as to which keys they were on! Does this really make a difference? The paper is so thin I have a hard time believing they make a difference in key balance...but maybe?

I've read about lubing different parts, including the pins. ProTek CLP is recommended for the action so I plan on getting this. Before I put the keys back on should I lube all the pins using ProTek?

And lastly, what tools are unique to the regulation process that I should consider getting? I did read about a Let Off tool on Ebay, I think it is this one?

Thanks in advance!

cinnanon

First off, read the manual. Honestly, read it twice, all the way through. Then you can go to the third party websites for tips and tricks.  Following the steps in the manual should fix your mechanical issues. Don't worry about the signal until you get to tuning/voicing. You're regulating the action, getting it freed up and moving correctly, dialed in, etc. The paper shims are for setting the proper key height. Yes they are very thin. They range from thick to thin. Removing them just un-leveled all your keys (look from the side, they are probably all wonky now). That's a time consuming job. Read the manual before digging into anything else that may waste time later.

Having the right tools is paramount. Capstan wrench is needed. Paper shims also. Spare reeds potentially. Check for broken pieces of action too. There's a lot that goes into this, but dig in and have fun. If there's shims under the reedbar holes, take note of where they were. And most importantly, take your time!

citysoundman

Quote from: cinnanon on October 06, 2022, 12:12:51 PMFirst off, read the manual. Honestly, read it twice, all the way through. Then you can go to the third party websites for tips and tricks.  Following the steps in the manual should fix your mechanical issues. Don't worry about the signal until you get to tuning/voicing. You're regulating the action, getting it freed up and moving correctly, dialed in, etc. The paper shims are for setting the proper key height. Yes they are very thin. They range from thick to thin. Removing them just un-leveled all your keys (look from the side, they are probably all wonky now). That's a time consuming job. Read the manual before digging into anything else that may waste time later.

Having the right tools is paramount. Capstan wrench is needed. Paper shims also. Spare reeds potentially. Check for broken pieces of action too. There's a lot that goes into this, but dig in and have fun. If there's shims under the reedbar holes, take note of where they were. And most importantly, take your time!

Thank you for the reply! I did read through the manual and the regulation section seems really extensive on first read. But I'll start by going through it one step at a time.

As for the shims, dang I guess I messed up by not noting which keys they came from! These are super-thin circular cutouts, the thickness feels less thick than normal printer paper, more like tracing-paper-thin. I see there are 12 of them and they are all identical thickness. So I tested one by putting a key back on with a shim, and then the same key without the shim and honestly the height does not seem different. But when I put all the keys back I will carefully check again.

(I'm attaching a pic). Is it possible to confirm from the pic that these are used for height adjustments?

cinnanon

Yes those are for the height adjustments of the keys. They range from very thin to thick. Paper is ~.004" thick. These shims go down to .001" to around .030" thick, and everything in between.  It's mostly a cosmetic thing, having the keys be exactly level and flat from the left side to the right side.

As for the regulation steps, they are very important to follow in order. Doing it in the wrong order will end up with you redoing things numerous times. Don't do anything that will cause permanent damage, especially on the key pins. Many people like to twist them to tighten up the side to side slop in the action, but this just scores the surface for the next guy.

citysoundman

OK cool, thanks very much for the info. I've read the regulation steps a few times now. I'll work in order and very carefully!

Regarding the key pins you mentioned, I was wondering about that. Steps 7 - square & level and 8 - space keys, both say to adjust the pins if needed. Step 7 says lightly tap the top of the balance rail pins (seems reasonable to do). But Step 8 says to bend the pins to adjust key spacing (which I would like to adjust, my key spacing is not even). What tool is recommended? I see there's a key-spacing tool here and it says to bend/turn the pin from under the rail, or at the base of the pin. Maybe a similar sized wrench would work?

cinnanon

That tool is the correct tool for bending the pins on an acoustic piano (the front pins are for spacing, the back pins are for tilting the key left and right). But that tool will not work with a wurlitzer because you can't remove the front key slip (the large lip in front of the keys) like you can on an acoustic piano.

citysoundman

Quote from: cinnanon on October 12, 2022, 09:44:54 AMThat tool is the correct tool for bending the pins on an acoustic piano (the front pins are for spacing, the back pins are for tilting the key left and right). But that tool will not work with a wurlitzer because you can't remove the front key slip (the large lip in front of the keys) like you can on an acoustic piano.

Gotcha, thank you. How do you adjust key spacing? The manual says to use a forked key spacing tool.

citysoundman

pianotuner steveo

I'm sorry, but I would not waste money on those key spacing tools. You may use common hand tools to achieve the same result, and you do not need to do this often. The main adjustment most Wurlitzers need is the Letoff adjustment. That tool is on eBay also.  It is rare for key height and other adjustments to be far off unless the piano is very worn out, or if someone messed around with it previously and did not know what they were doing.

Crooked keys can be adjusted by gently tapping the balance rail pin with a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Oblong front rail pins may be turned with needle nose pliers with the key (and its neighbors) removed.

Specific key spacing tools tend to break after using a few times.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

citysoundman

Quote from: pianotuner steveo on October 20, 2022, 06:29:29 AMI'm sorry, but I would not waste money on those key spacing tools. You may use common hand tools to achieve the same result, and you do not need to do this often. The main adjustment most Wurlitzers need is the Letoff adjustment. That tool is on eBay also.  It is rare for key height and other adjustments to be far off unless the piano is very worn out, or if someone messed around with it previously and did not know what they were doing.

Crooked keys can be adjusted by gently tapping the balance rail pin with a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Oblong front rail pins may be turned with needle nose pliers with the key (and its neighbors) removed.

Specific key spacing tools tend to break after using a few times.

Thanks for the reply Steve. I did buy the letoff tool, and I wasn't sure I needed the pin tool so it's good to hear your confirmation about that. I noticed the front rail pins were oblong shaped which is interesting. So, if I want to adjust key spacing I can turn these a bit? Somehow turning these pins doesn't seem like it would affect key spacing...don't they need to remain in their normal 'straight' position for the keys to function properly?

pianotuner steveo

No, turning them does not change the spacing. They should be adjusted so the flatter sides are on the sides, the rounded are front and back. The balance rail pins can be gently tapped with a screwdriver and a hammer if keys are crooked, or too much space on one side, too close on the other. If front key bushings are very worn, you can try to turn the front pins a little to see if that tightens them up, but I don't really like doing this personally. It's better to replace the worn bushings.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

citysoundman

Quote from: pianotuner steveo on October 26, 2022, 03:29:20 PMNo, turning them does not change the spacing. They should be adjusted so the flatter sides are on the sides, the rounded are front and back. The balance rail pins can be gently tapped with a screwdriver and a hammer if keys are crooked, or too much space on one side, too close on the other. If front key bushings are very worn, you can try to turn the front pins a little to see if that tightens them up, but I don't really like doing this personally. It's better to replace the worn bushings.
Thanks for the reply. My front pins are all positioned well so I won't touch them.
I was looking at the key height. I have some shims under the front rail. When I measure from the keybed to just under the lip of the front of the keys I get a bit more than 2". I'm thinking to remove the shims and check the height without them.

pianotuner steveo

The front rail shims have nothing to do with key height. They adjust key dip, prevent hammer blocking, and the green felt cuts down on noise.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

citysoundman

Quote from: pianotuner steveo on November 04, 2022, 05:48:54 AMThe front rail shims have nothing to do with key height. They adjust key dip, prevent hammer blocking, and the green felt cuts down on noise.
Thanks for replying Steve. I was referring to these pants-shaped-looking cardboard piece shims underneath the rail, sitting right on the keybed. I removed them. But I did check key dip, which I need to adjust a bit. I have no front pin shims under the green felts. So I ordered a bag from Ebay.

pianotuner steveo

You may have caused your own problems by removing the "pants" shims. Why do you think dip is excessive? Are hammers blocking against the reeds? Are the fronts of the sharps getting buried under the neighboring white keys when depressed? If not, you shouldn't waste time and money on this step. Deep dip makes the action feel lighter, shallow dip makes it seem heavier. Excessively deep dip can cause hammers to block against the reeds. Excessively shallow dip makes the action feel choked.

I would not have removed those cardboard "pants" shims. If they were under the front rail, they were for dip, not key height. You removed those shims, now you want to replace them with individual shims on each key.

Again,the BALANCE rail height (and thickness of back rail cloth) affects key height, the FRONT rail height affects the dip.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

citysoundman

Quote from: pianotuner steveo on November 12, 2022, 05:31:14 AMAgain,the BALANCE rail height (and thickness of back rail cloth) affects key height, the FRONT rail height affects the dip.

OK gotcha, I don't know why I mixed this up! Thank you for the clarification.