Strange Columbia Elepian with active pickups and a tube amp? Repair options?

Started by M0rph, November 01, 2022, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M0rph

Hello!

I was just gifted an old Columbia Elepian.

I am really excited to hear it, but the wiring and documentation was eaten by mice 30 years ago.

From the outside it resembles the Elepian 713 model.

So, I was expecting to see passive pickups, simple reeds, and a solid state amp. With the reeds each having the same width.

Theoretically, an easy enough fix to get sound out of it...

Nope, totally different design than anything I have been able to find anywhere on the internet. The model is CERV550

It has 75 keys, with active pickups, and each reed has a different width; the  control panel is only a volume wheel with an old school style output for headphones, and a tube amp to power it up.

It has wood keys, with what seems like a plastic veneer, and all the mechanics are wood, except for the rubber hammer heads that are covered in felt, and glued onto wooden dowels.

it has, what looks to be, a heavy cast iron harp that the reeds and pickups are mounted to; much like you see on a piano, but way smaller.

There is a small circuit board that has 3 connections, one is connected directly to the pickup rail. The board also has a positive lead and a ground wire.

I am hoping someone can help me figure out how to get sound out of this thing...

I am not sure what it would take to get the tube amp working in its current state.

So, I am hoping for a DIY or even an after market replacement that can energize the active pickup enough so I can plug it in to another amp and get sound out of it.

I have worked on a bunch of old synths, so I am not afraid to try and fix it, but my experience is mostly with silk screened circuit boards of the 80's; replacing chips and leaky capacitors, or following instructions on how to modify a circuit following diagrams.

So tube amps, active pickups and old circuits seem pretty foreign to me but not too much to handle with some guidance.

I will add photos shortly...

Thanks!!

M0rph

I am curious if I could build something like this Wurlitzer Amp Build

And drop it into the Elepian?

JMezz

Have a look to see if you can find info on the Maestro E pianos - they were essentially active versions of the Elepian. If you're able to post Some photos of the pickups that would be something cool to see!
74 Mk1 Fender Rhodes Stage 88
Columbia Elepian EP631