Author Topic: Any questions for Herbie?  (Read 5619 times)

Manic Hispanic

Any questions for Herbie?
« on: June 19, 2004, 10:44:53 AM »
I'm meeting Herbie Hanc**k tonight.  Does anyone have any questions I should ask him?  They don't necessarily have to be about Rhodes either.

Offline Funk

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 02:38:12 PM »
What are his favourite effects on Rhodes and clavinet?

Manic Hispanic

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 12:21:20 PM »
On the Rhodes he used tape-echo (Echoplex), for clav he used Wah (Crybaby), as well as Phaser and filtering in later years.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 07:14:18 PM »
whoa whoa whoa!! how the heck did u get to meet Herbie????!!!  :o  :o  :o ....

....and why didnt i see this topic earlier!!

I'd ask him about his lydian chromatic stuff, and general soloing ideas;  I'd ask him what he is practicing/exploring at the moment;
What his favourite synths are;

ummm... yeah, i guess its kinda hard to know what questions to ask.

What did you ask him, Manic Hispanic?

Offline Tbird65

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
    • http://www.scatjazz.com/CP/cp3
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 12:31:20 AM »
Id like to ask Herbie about his tune Misstery, based on Stella by Starlight.
***Tbird65***

bluenote908

herbie
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 11:20:28 AM »
I would ask him why he used so many rhodes samples on "Future to Future," yet seems to believe that the rhodes is a thing of the past. Maybe he still has a warm spot in his heart for the sound, not neccesarily the instrument.

Manic Hispanic

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 02:14:58 PM »
My question was the same as Funk's, although I'm kicking myself now for forgetting a million things I should have asked  :cry: .  It was backstage after a concert and I was just one of fifty fans trying to get a word in.  I did, however, manage to get my copy of The Prisoner autographed as well as my Native Dancer by Wayne Shorter. :D  By the way I highly recommend both albums to anyone that hasn't heard them for some great rhodes playing and hip tunes!

Herbiefied

herbelated
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 01:04:08 AM »
I would have asked him to spend a couple hours (o.k. 5 minutes) to lay down some funk with me in my studio.

Yes,yes i know. Not very practical.

I probably would have asked him about the wah he used on his clavinet (it doesn't sound like a crybaby to me).

well anyway, this might be a good place to ask: Does antone know anything about Herbie's tone on albums like Headhunters and Thrust?

Echoplexed Rhodes, Clav, and Arp as well as wah ( sounds like more of a filtery sweeping high resonce sound more so than the crybaby i think).
This is as far as I've gotten. I have all three of these keyboards and they just sound different. Maybe it's just cause I'm playin' 'em and not him but it's fun to ask.