News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

dampers buzzi

Started by kenvcooper, April 01, 2023, 09:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenvcooper

When I release a key, the damper felts cause a buzzing noise when they just contact the tine.  This noise gets picked up and amplified.  What am I doing wrong?  It is a set of new VV felts and I've tried adjusting them up and down.

Jenzz

Hi :-)

VV felts are harder / more compressed than the originals, you did nothing wrong....

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

Max86

Hi,
I also just installed new VV dampers - in the video instructions they mention that you need to pay attention to the direction of the grain of the felt, for all but the treble section, warning that you might get a buzz if not installed correctly. It's a little difficult to see the grain, but I found that pulling the felts apart ever so slightly quickly reveals the direction of the fibers. I think I installed them all correctly and I'm not getting any buzz as the dampers rejoin the tines.

I'm also somewhat new to this but maybe it could also be that the dampers are not applying enough pressure to the tines in resting position. That all depends on many things like the escapement.

At the moment im struggling with the opposite problem, I want minimal escapement but that pushes the dampers so far down that my bridle straps are all hanging loose. I think a lot of these issues can be addressed by making fine adjustments to the damper arms by carefully bending them between the damper and the point where the bridle straps attach.

Anyway, hope that helps :)