News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Bump modification and its drawbacks

Started by Ben Bove, February 15, 2006, 06:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Bove

I just bought a '74 stage 88 with a bump modification.  The end of the keys inside have red felt on them, on top of that felt each key has an additional thin piece before the slant that raises the action up.  I also have a '73 stage with no bump mod just the red key felts.  It's nice because I can compare the two fender labels side by side.  

The rhodes with the bump mod is much easier to play.  less "heavy" and nicer on the hands.  however, there's more bite to the non-mod.  I switched the keys out on both of them so the 74 now has no mod keys and the 73 has them.  They play how they should - now the 74 barks and is louder while the other is reversed.  Apparently the bump mod makes easier actions but tones down the strike distance and thus makes it quieter and less hard sounding.  Here's my question:

on the piano with the bump mod, if I raise the harp up to increase the strike distance, will I retain the easier action while getting a louder/harder sound?  The harp has already been raised on the left (bass) side by 3 of the black shims with none on the right... if I went higher (and adjusted the dampeners) could I make that happen?  Anyone tech-ed like this?  Thanks
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

BackRoomSounds

I dont claim to be an expert here but if you look at this logicaly it seems to me at least as this....

I dont think the effects you talk of come about from reduced striking distance rather slower hammer speed. I think there must be a big number crunch to work this out with math but in adding some kind of bump you effictively reduce the slope / angle on the bottom of the hammer temporarily. This makes it easier on the fingures to play but must reduce hammer velocity, right??

As people have said time and time again on here the hammer is just working against gravity and as susch is decelerating after it has left the key ped so a reduced escapement such not yeald less stricking power (within reason obviously). Less striking power can only come from reduced leverage which is what the bump does I guess???

Sorry if that was thinking out loud