Author Topic: Roland SRX-12  (Read 27684 times)

Offline mixsynth

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/mixsynth
Roland SRX-12
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
Just a couple of observations after having gigged and practiced with this board several times...

-- The playability of the Rhodes patches depends completely on the controller you use. At the moment I actually find it more pleasurable playing them through my VK-8 with its unweighted 61-note keyboard than through my 88-note, hammer action SL-880. I've still got to figure out the velocity curves, I suppose. Those with Roland stage boards (e.g. RD-700SX, Fantom X6/7/8, etc.) would probably have perfect feel without tweaking settings.

-- Patches 13 and 14, the "Stereo Trem" Rhodes patches, don't have any 'trem' on the XV-2020 unless you've connected both Left and Right outputs. This is silly behaviour, because the effect sounds just as good in mono. I haven't played around to confirm, but I think you can 'fool' the unit into allowing the trem, because sometimes it works -- I think it's when you plug the left/mono jack in AFTER turning the unit on. I'll have a play around later and see if this is the case.

-- The board is damned good, and well worth the money I paid for it :D I heartily recommend it to any gigging musos looking to save their backs (and friendships with other band members!) from destruction.

Offline Jazz+

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Roland SRX-12
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006, 02:23:13 AM »
Fatar SL-880 and Yamahs P series keyboards output MIDI velocity curves that are less wide than the Roland  velocity curves and perhaps not ideal for dynamic control. The Yamaha P series doesn't easily send the higer velicty levels.

Offline mixsynth

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Roland SRX-12
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2006, 03:19:27 PM »
Someone asked for it, so here it is -- the Roland SRX-12 patch list, plus some comments on the ones I've used:

1: Pure EP1 [Basic later series Rhodes patch, direct from pickup rail. Plenty of 'tine noise' and bark.]
2: Lo-Fi EP1
3: Pure EP2 [Basic earlier series Rhodes patch, also direct from pickup rail. Only a hint of 'tine noise' and more subtle bark. Matches my Mk1 73 almost perfectly.]
4: Phaser EP1
5: Soft Wurly
6: Pure Wurly
7: Pure Clav DB
8: Pure Clav CB
9: PhaseClav CB
10: Wah Clav CB
11: Comp Clav CB
12: PureClavMtCB
13: St.Trem EP1 [Suitcase stereo pan effect Rhodes. It sounds great in stereo, but when you only connect one amp (at least on my XV-2020 module), the tremolo only functions 25% of the times you turn the module on, almost at random, so for me it's pretty useless. I'm still struggling to understand what combination of factors allows/prevents the tremolo from working in mono, but it might just be the XV-2020 as it's the cheapest SRX-compatible module available.]
14: St.Trem EP2 [See above]
15: Chorus Wurly
16: Chorus EP1 [The chorus effect on this Rhodes is fine in mono, but sounds terrific in stereo: a really lush, 3-dimensional sound. Unlike the stereo tremolo, it always works in mono. It does lower the volume a fair bit.]
17: Chorus EP2 [See above]
18: Dp-Cho EP1
19: Dp-Cho EP2
20: Soft EP1
21: Soft EP2
22: Phase Wurly
23: Hard EP1
24: Moving EP1 (or 3rd-StackEP1 on RD series and VR-760)
25: EP1 w/FM (or 3rd-StackEP2)
26: EP1 w/VOX (or HarmStackEP1)
27: EP1 w/STR (or Hybrid EP1)
28: EP1 w/PAD (or Hybrid Wurly)
29: Flanger EP1
30: Flanger EP2
31: FlangerWurly
32: Melodic EP1
33: Amped EP1
34: Amped EP2
35: Lo-Fi EP2
36: Lo-Fi Wurly
37: ModDly EP1
38: ModDly EP2
39: Dual EP1
40: Dual Wurly
41: Enhance Clav
42: Peaking Clav
43: Dual Clav DB
44: Dual Clav DA
45: Dual Clav CB
46: Dual Clav CA
47: DualClavMtDB
48: DualClavMtCB
49: PhaseClav DB
50: PhaseClvMtCB
On the Fantom-X series and Juno-G, there are 55 further patches, but they all just the basic 3 instruments with added effects for condition/bite.

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
Roland SRX-12
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 12:00:06 AM »
Now that I've had a couple of chances to gig with my XV-5050 + SRX-11 + SRX-12 setup, I have to say that I really do like the Pure EP 1 patch when it's running through a PA with a little EQ.  Or at least I did until my new amp showed up today...I ended up dumping a chunk of cash into the Motion Sound KBR-M, which combines the Pro-3T rotary horn with a mono 12" speaker for both the low rotor sim and a pair of inputs for other keyboards.  I've got the VK-8 going through the organ channel (obviously) and the XV-5050 on the solid state channel, and now the Rhodes + Clav samples from the SRX-12 sound WICKED.  I'm still tweaking the EQ settings in the XV to balance things out a little, but this amp naturally gives me the punchy mid's that my ear needs for the Rhodes to sound right.  The one drawback is that the highs are weak, but what the hell, it's the same deal with a Suitcase amp....
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

Offline mixsynth

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Roland SRX-12
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 05:37:17 AM »
Glad to hear you've found the right amp to make the SRX Rhodes shine. I thought the softer EP2 would be my bag, but instead I've well and truly fallen in love with the crisper EP1. It just sounds so good in a band context.

Can't say it enough: Roland have played a blinder with this board.

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
Roland SRX-12
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2006, 12:34:43 AM »
I know, that sound really did cut through the mix for me on Friday night.  It gave the latin/bossa tunes a new life...thank you Chick....

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
Roland SRX-12
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2006, 01:52:15 PM »
Another observation of the SRX-12 in the wild...on my way out of the Monterey Jazz Festival last night I heard what I thought was somebody playing a Rhodes in the distance, so of course I had to go check it out.  And what did I see but an 88-note board with the Roland logo on the back!!!  Evidence that the SRX-12 can sound nice through a PA too....

Offline Jazz+

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Roland SRX-12
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 02:25:44 AM »
I'm still loving my SRX-12 EP1 now after three months of gigging with it in a XV-2020 module and using a Roland FP2 controler. How EP1 responds does depend very much on the velocity scale and range of the controller.  I use Medium Touch Setting on my FP2 , so I  like to minus 5 the Velocity in the EP1 Performance.  I also have the SRX-11 and use the Rock Piano #4 for live jazz, it's brighter quality is easier to hear than the other piano SRX-11 patches. For speakers I use a pair of 500 watt biamped (12" &  2" drivers)  EV SXa360 powered PA speakers.