Author Topic: Fender Contempo Organ  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Gajmustafacell.com

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Fender Contempo Organ
« on: May 28, 2006, 06:00:30 AM »
Anybody know where to go for parts for a fender contempo organ. Specifically the little rubber things that connect from the hammertip to the springs that connect to the buss bars. Dont know exactly what they are called. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline rocksnob

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Fender Contempo Organ
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 09:25:45 PM »
http://www.combo-organ.com/Schematics/Contempo.gif

You can get that schematic at Combo Organ Heaven for free, I've got a 6 foot digital print of it for mine :)

As far as parts go, due to the relative rarity, age, short lived production, and fragility of said organs, I'm afraid you're almost entirely out of luck, there are no "stock" components in production to fix one of these, unless you can find a parts cow or someone who has a parts cow and is willing to sell some of their components, believe me. You may want to check the Combo Organ Mailing List on yahoo groups, you may be able to find someone who has some extra parts, I believe there are 4 or so other Contempo owners on there, who may or may not be able to help.

When I bought mine, much to my dismay it arrived at my doorstep with not a single of the twelve oscillating coils in it, naturally I was rather livid with the seller :evil: I sent it to the Cantos Music Foundations vintage keyboard repairs, they couldn't find a set of stock coils ANYWHERE worldwide. I ended up purchasing a second unit (it was that or have JL build me a top octave generator board, which would be costly, and while it would sound the same, it just wouldn't be the same as having a stock unit), and have the repair tech join the two, wasn't cheap....

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Fender Contempo Organ
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:06:29 PM »
Ive got 3 of em'. the most beat up one is the one with two broken peices. It  would be fully functional with the two rubber pieces intact.  I heard that fender used parts from the same company ...pratney reed..who made many of the rhodes components....in the contempo organ. It is without a doubt the cadillac of combo organs. It's a shame fender didnt make more of these.  I dont know about your combo .But mine arent fragile at all. Actually they are built like a tank and any problems ive had have been easily repairable ...usually a matter of jiggling around some wires.  Someone should start a fender contempo group . I just might do that. It should be ponted out that until Aarron Kipness started clavinet .com. ...clav owners were out of luck as far as parts go...so i guess there is always hope.
thanks
brian

Offline rocksnob

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Fender Contempo Organ
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 07:46:52 PM »
Yeah, Pratt Reed made many of the parts for the Rhodes and the Contempos back in the good ol' Days, too bad there isn't someone around with a big stock of NOS parts from the old factory to sell....

I dont know about your combo .But mine arent fragile at all

I would agree that they are terribly well built units, I wouldn't hesitate to gig with mine, and I'm really quite confident it would stand up to any of the abuse I would throw at it on the road, the wiring and such is quite terrific, but it is still a nearly 40 year old Combo Organ, and I've seen an awful lot of these that look like they've had a rough go of it, more than I've seen that look otherwise really. Put it this way, if I had my Rhodes and my Contempo in the back of a car and one of them had to drop out of the back while I was going down the highway, I would much rather it be the Rhodes, cause I'm sure the Rhodes would survive more or less intact, probably need some work done, but it'd most likely live, those brittle circuit boards on the Organ would crack and shatter, even UPS men handling these things with their "feather touch" can cause those boards to crack.... *grumbles*

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Fender Contempo Organ
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:18:40 PM »
I work at ups and ive seen the abuse that goes on on a daily basis. Ive had two of them shipped via ups much to my amazement they both have arrived intact and playable. I would like to forgo the rhodes style road case and get a custom built road case for it. The volume pedal thing is kind of a pain. I lucked into an almost mint contempo with the legs within driving distance, original gig bag for the stand and pedal and the original manual. There is no way in hell id take the stand to a gig.. the leather gig bag is pretty brittle from years of existence. It was made by Victoria luggage co. ..who made many fender amp covers back in the day. the warranty states it was purchased new in '71...which i thought was pretty late for a contempo.

Offline rocksnob

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Fender Contempo Organ
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 09:04:30 PM »
Hmm, both the ones I've shipped through them have arrived with significantly more damage than they left with, both unplayable, one for a very different reason than the other, which I blame entirely on the seller, and not on UPS... two different people, two different experiences, I suppose. That wasn't a terribly lucky month for me anyways, perhaps I angered the music gods or something.

The gig bagss do sound rather cool (I just use the ones made for my Farfisa VIP 500, their strong, they do the trick and have a bit of extra room for some pedals and cables), as for the dates, I imagine they were produced in the factory for the late sixties dates I've seen them quoted for, but perhaps they took a few extra years to sell out their stock of them in the stores? I don't know, just a thought...