News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

What was the retail price of a Rhodes back in the day?

Started by antispatula, June 10, 2006, 11:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antispatula

Anyone know or remember? They stopped making them before I was born........

Loucas

SUPERSITE USE TO HAVE THESE PRICES IN A 70'S BROCHURE.

AS FAR AS I REMEMBER STAGE MODELS  COST ABOUT  800 $ AND SUITCASE MODELS 300-400$ MORE.

tnelson

When I purchased my 1975 Stage 73 model from its original owner about 8 years ago, it still had the original bill of sale in the lid, along with the manual and original 5 replacement tines.  It sold for $750 from a music shop here in town.

dnarkosis

On April 16, 1979, I bought a Mark 1 Suitcase 73 in Atlanta (with the silverface slider preamp):

$985.00
+  39.40 tax
$1024.40 total
Interesting side note: With inflation, what cost $1024.40 in 1979 would cost $2900.81 in 2005.
1979 Suitcase 73
1980 Stage 54

Ben Bove

Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

andi85

Tuning instruments makes the band sound thin!

TheStranger

Quote from: "andi85"I wasn't, too. Still 6 years to go :)

Same here :D

my Rhodes was one year away from being made in the factory though   :o
1980 Mark II Suitcase 88

james

Man, you guys are making me feel old...as if becoming a father 3 years ago didn't do it already....
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

dnarkosis

as if becoming a father 3 years ago didn't do it already
"Hey, Dad, can I borrow the Rhodes?"

I was considering just answering the question about the price without saying that it was I who actually bought it.  :roll: But the transgenerational thing with the Rhodes addiction is one of the coolest things that has come around in a while. It's not the fact that younger cats are interested in the Rhodes, it's the fact that they're a little goofy about them that is cool.

My dad's (may he rest in peace) 1935 Martin hollow-body guitar is still under factory (lifetime) warranty: I still have the bill of sale, and the guitar has never been out of the family. The Martin technician who recently serviced it couldn't believe it.

Even if a new Rhodes comes out, I hope people will still be addicted and crazy enough to take care of these originals.
1979 Suitcase 73
1980 Stage 54

Ben Bove

sadly, to be honest, I predict in a couple decades, maybe 20 years, or even less, samples and computers will be fast and large enough to sample instruments at every dynamic level, and we'll see an end to mechanical pianos like the rhodes or wurlies.  MIDI input through keyboard will be much easier than maintaining these relics, and by then samples should be able to fool anyone, even the players.  Guitars and such might still be around because they're tough to jam on MIDI, plus you can replace with modern day strings, not specially produced metal tines and specialty mechanicals.  Moreover, for example - software is out now that's doing a pretty good job of doing symphony orchestras.  An end to the need for those in films might be soon approaching.  The Rhodes, being in high supply now, might become too tiresome to maintain and drag around for concerts when patches would be absolutely indistinguishable.  a timepiece for museums, much like the rotary phone.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

andi85

I don't know...
For me music shouldn't be about getting fooled by computers, but about becoming one with your instrument.
Tuning instruments makes the band sound thin!

dnarkosis

Moreover, for example - software is out now that's doing a pretty good job of doing symphony orchestras. An end to the need for those in films might be soon approaching.

Actually, this has already been the case for about a decade now, and it is certainly increasingly true in the recording industry in general, and the general development became evident about a decade ago as well. The sample libraries have been quite sophisticated for some time now.

The Rhodes, being in high supply now, might become too tiresome to maintain and drag around for concerts when patches would be absolutely indistinguishable. a timepiece for museums, much like the rotary phone

Or an acoustic piano? Remember, it's not necessarily about dragging something to a gig.
1979 Suitcase 73
1980 Stage 54

toddyjoe

Quote from: "bjammerz"sadly, to be honest, I predict in a couple decades, maybe 20 years, or even less, samples and computers will be fast and large enough to sample instruments at every dynamic level, and we'll see an end to mechanical pianos like the rhodes or wurlies.  MIDI input through keyboard will be much easier than maintaining these relics, and by then samples should be able to fool anyone, even the players.  Guitars and such might still be around because they're tough to jam on MIDI, plus you can replace with modern day strings, not specially produced metal tines and specialty mechanicals.  Moreover, for example - software is out now that's doing a pretty good job of doing symphony orchestras.  An end to the need for those in films might be soon approaching.  The Rhodes, being in high supply now, might become too tiresome to maintain and drag around for concerts when patches would be absolutely indistinguishable.  a timepiece for museums, much like the rotary phone.

I am not so sure we will ever see an end to Rhodes and Wurlies. I am sure the novelty and authenticity aspects will always be there. For example, tube amps are outdated technology. Nowadays the tube sound (not the feel) can actually be reproduced by solid-state technologies, which are lighter and cheaper. Still, tube amps are prized by many types of instrumentalists -- guitarists, bassists and electric pianists among them -- in large part because transistors do not have the interactive response and dynamic feel of playing with tubes. How many bass players still gig and tour with those monstrous Ampeg SVT heads and 8x10" cabinets rather than using a modern/smaller/lighter/cheaper rack setup? The same logic applies with antique and classic automobiles. The market is full of cars that are cheaper, faster, more compact, less prone to failure, better on gas mileage, cheaper to repair, etc. compared to an old 1950's Chevy. Yet there are plenty of old-car buffs that would pay an arm and a leg for an original Chevy of that vintage. Many of these folks still drive them on the road instead of put them in a museum or glass case.

Enthusiasts of any genre will always want authenticity, i.e., the real thing. Modern technology can always improve an idea and make something better, but nothing can truly replace the original. Besides, can any sampler or computer really replace the experience of repairing and maintaining a Rhodes or Wurly? :wink:
-----
1978 Rhodes Mark 1 Stage 73

Ben Bove

simply my point - really think, I mean 20 years is our entire computer era.  another 20 years would be so much advancement.  The rotary phone might be the best and original, but technology put it out of existence.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net