News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Distortion effects

Started by schmuckface, August 20, 2006, 08:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmuckface

Anyone using distortion or overdrive pedals on their rhodes?  Is the rhodes on Bitches Brew overdriven somehow (i like that tone)?  I have a suitcase so I cant use gain on an amp.
1979 Mark I Suitcase 73

Miguel Tuna

I think that in bitches brew they don't use distortion at all. On that album they use the earlier fender rhodes.
I tested playing with a crate on my suicase with distortion and I didn't like it, and it's only useable (depends on the taste of course) on melody.
'79 Mk1 Suitcase

Miguel Tuna

Portugal

schmuckface

Hmm... yea, I heard that the earlier rhodes had a bigger bite and bark to them but some of the stuff on Bitches Brew sounds so harsh.  Spanish key for example has some pretty distorted sounding tones.  If thats just how the earlier rhodes can sound, I'm kicking myself for buying a later mark 1!  Can anyone confirm the rhodes sounds on BB?  O also, distortion pedals? (thx for the reply miguel)
1979 Mark I Suitcase 73

Rhodes Math'ar

I have a Pro Co Rat2 distortion pedal and it is perfect for the Rhodes.  I also have a tube amp, so basically I don't really need the pedal, but for gigs where I went to really have the overdrive come in and control it at all volumes, the Rat is highly recommended.  I saw Dave Douglas play and his pianist at the time used one, there's where I got the tip!

-Dan
1976 Mark I Stage 73--->MKHC-1--->Moog MF-102 Ring Modulator--->Fender Hot Rod Deluxe = Holy $^(#!

Dan Belcher

I've got a Big Muff that sounds great on my Rhodes.  If I want just a little bit of bite for an edge, but I don't want to get muddy sound when I play more than just power chords, I can set the Sustain knob down really low and get a harsh, aggressive sound.  If I want to get fat, nasty distortion for a solo, I just crank the knob up.  Sounds great with a wah too!
Proud owner,
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73

jim

I use a Hot Cake overdrive pedal, made in New Zealand, absolutely fantastic!

astral_travelling

try a Boss Metal Zone. This makes the Rhodes sound like a most unholy beast. Truly nasty.

kitchen

QuoteI think that in bitches brew they don't use distortion at all. On that album they use the earlier fender rhodes.

On Bitches Brew you hear 2 Rhodes piano's which if I remember correctly as I read it somewhere on the net were '69 Suitcases with the felt hammers.
Don't know how they generated that overdrive or distortion though.

Kitchen
'76 Mk I Stage 73 -> 70's Small Stone

Stevil

i've use pod2.0 on tube emulation typically. vox tonelab has an ok sound, as does the digitech rpx 400 i've used though it's not very subtle. i didnt like the mesa v1 bottlerocket @ all. i have a sansamp bass driver  & a couple random guitar distortions i should try out on the rhodes.
Mark II 88 Suitcase

SWANG

Are we certain that Chick didn't use a fuzz pedal on Bitches Brew?  I know Herbie used them a bit.  He inspired the inclusion of the fuzz wah pedal in my current effects chain.  8)
1972 Mark I Stage 73 with Vintage Vibe "Stage Vibe" custom preamp

Ok, bye!!!

dietzzd

I use an Ibanez Tube Screamer, and with a little fidgeting of the knobs, you can get it burnin'!  Plus, they're tiny so they take up hardly any space.
Mark I Stage 73=>Maestro PS-1=>Electro Harmonix Tremolo=>Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer=>Electro-Harmonix Super Chorus=>Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Spookyman

I also have a tube amp. So, in combination with the Vintage Vibe preamp, it's not so difficult to obtain a warm overdrive in the sound.

For distorsion effect, i have an old Rat from the seventies.
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 1973

thermionicjunky

I really don't think there were any effect pedals used on Bitches Brew. Those early hammers must have really cooked before they started to get grooved. It's probably a combination of pickup , amp and speaker distortion. The album was in the summer of 1969. By early 1970 Chick is using ring modulation , wah and echo. My preference is to overdrive a tube amplifier. I am awaiting delivery of a Siegmund Double Drive. I will post my reaction on this forum when I get it.

tjcombs

If you're just looking for a little bit of "warmth" you should just get your hands on an old Rangemaster.
"Melody is what the peice is all about" - Henry Copeland

whiteboyblues

I used the EH English Muff'n over the weekend for my 73 Stage and it sounded pretty nice and warm to me. I'd be curious to see how a Fender Blender or Ampeg Scrambler sounds through a Rhodes.
1979 Rhodes Mark I 73 Stage > PreSonus TubePRE Single Channel Tube Mic Preamplifier > Boss TU-2 > Boss Chorus > Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n > Dunlop Mr. Crybaby Super Wah > Vox AD50VT